Chapter 15

15.

We didn't go home. We didn't stay at the gentlemen's club either. We drove around the city for a while until I suggested an even crazier idea than going to a strip club. Being an electronic dance music fanatic I found out one of my favorite DJs was playing at a nightclub on the outskirts of town on the far-end. Ross thought it wasn't his kind of scene but after going with him to a gentlemen's club he owed me to do something I liked doing – although I'd say the strip club idea was a winner.

I drove while he yapped on about some software or some rival company. We passed restaurants that were familiar to me and little convenience stores. We turned a corner and the club beamed at me with its bright blue neon lights. There were people outside the club smoking and drinking while yelling some curse word or another.

I knew the tickets were sold out. I knew it would be hard getting into the club but I'd done it before. Before life took a drastic turn I'd been a resident nightclub goer. I loved the loud atmosphere and music. I loved the bright colors and the blinding lights. I'd found out I liked quietness and warm atmospheres after I was forced to give up nightclub residency but for the night I craved a little shaking and screaming like the world didn't hate me.

Sneaking a yapping Ross into a club was like trying to eat casually in a restaurant with a crying baby on your lap. Now, of course I'd never had a crying baby in my lap but I could imagine the attention babies got. If I was somewhere and a baby cried I was certain I would turn my head to investigate.

I'd decided to find a different entrance to the club. The front had bouncers that looked like they lifted weights for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I rounded the back of the club while pulling a confused Ross.

I was about to tell him to shut up when I heard footsteps coming towards us. I pulled him to the wall on a dark corner and stood before him, pinning him to it.

"Could have just said –" he started talking and I put my hand to his mouth, stifling his words.

A man dressed in dark colors walked past us to a door I hadn't yet noticed. The door opened after he tapped on it three times in succession, paused and tapped one more time.

"Yo Max," someone said.

The man mumbled something and went in.

I pulled away from Ross. When I looked properly at him I realized he definitely didn't look like he was going to a nightclub. The pants and shirt were okay, but the crew-neck sweater had to go.

"Okay, we have to do something about you," I said thoughtfully. "Take off your sweater."

"Why?"

"Because you don't look like you're going clubbing," I said.

"I'm cold," he whined. "My shirt has no buttons. Those can be found on a floor of a room in the gay gentlemen's club," he reminded me.

I huffed. "I'll give you my jacket and you can zip it. That sweater's got to go."

He looked at me happily and took off his sweater. I handed him my jacket. When he put it on he had this dreamy look in his eyes.

"I guess you look alright," I said.

He tugged the jacket collar slightly. "I look yummy."

I rolled my eyes. "Okay here's the deal. I'll do all the talking. Don't open your mouth unless I tell you to."

"Yes daddy," he teased.

"Fuck you," I said and pulled him towards the door.

Now, my modus operandi for getting into the club was the O'Reilly, you know, the one where I claim I am someone I'm not. I was ready to weave up some bullshit in order to get in. From watching Max go in, I thought I had a plan.