Chapter 33

33.

Sebastian

Things with my college applications weren't going so great. I wasn't exactly a model student and my criminal record wasn't helping. Some colleges rejected me from the start in favor of giving young applicants a chance, that's what they said anyway, but it was probably the criminal record. Drug dealing was not taken lightly in colleges. I was even considering broadening my horizons, looking for space in colleges out of the country. I'd heard Arts University London had a great graphic design program. But of course being an international student, my criminal record would be more heavily scrutinized than internally.

At one point I thought of giving up, but Nasir's fighting spirit kept me trying just one more time. He encouraged me not only by his words, but his attitude towards life despite terminal illness.

=

The rays of the sun streaming into the room told me it was morning. It was such a rare occurrence given that it had been raining again for the past three days. My eyes fluttered slightly when my brain regained consciousness to the world around it. I was lying on the bed in my room and the sun's rays were piercing through my uncovered balcony doors.

I patted the part of the bed next to me, returning with the feel of the bed and nothing else. I could remember not going to bed alone. It was unacceptable I had to wake up alone. Ross had run off the bed like a thief in the night. It was too early for him to have even woken up. He had been acting strange of late, or maybe he realized sleeping on my bed throughout the night trampled over casual sex rules.

It wasn't like there was more to the act. Orgasm was taxing on the body. Afterwards I just wanted to lie with a warm body next to me. He always seemed happy to sleep next to me throughout the night. He even loved harassing me in the morning. Why was he suddenly running off like we were sneaking around? Neither of us was attached and Nasir knew what was going on.

If Nasir didn't approve, he wasn't complaining. It was not like we were exposing it to him. His health had deteriorated quickly in the last month. He looked yellow, was on strong pain medication and could barely move around the house. He always looked exhausted, didn't eat much and his breathing always seemed difficult. One thing that hadn't changed though was his spirit. He loved talking and took it upon himself to tease Ross and I. His physical health was failing him but his mental health amidst it all was admirable.

Even though I was still groggy, I forced myself to get out of bed. I was stretching my limbs when my phone rang on the nightstand. Since it was my phone and not my summoning device I deduced my mom was calling. I composed myself and grabbed the phone. The number displayed on it was unknown.

"Hello?" I said uncertainly after accepting the call and placing the phone to my ear.

"Hello. Am I speaking to Sebastian Adler?" A woman's voice sounded from the phone.

I frowned. "Yeah"

"Sebastian you are speaking to Allison Mcallister from Savanna Island School of Design. I am calling with regards to your application for a place in our BFA in graphic design degree," the woman said.

My heart rate increased immediately when I learned what the call was about. She was going to tell me I'd been rejected. SISD wasn't the only college I'd applied to but it was my second choice. I couldn't believe they too were slamming their door in my face. I'd gotten a couple of rejections already.

"Mr. Adler, are you still there?" she asked.

"Yeah...I mean, yes," I replied.

"You have been shortlisted. We would like you to come in for an interview on Wednesday the 20th at twelve pm, on the campus. Further details about the interview and venue will be sent to you via email shortly," she said.