Chapter 6

Chapter 6

“Calvin!” Megan cried, running into the room without thinking. She heard Gizmo follow her as she knelt down next to the huddled figure.

“Calvin,” she lowered her voice, “Are you alright?”

The rouf’s knees were buried up in his chest, his head resting between them. Even though he had stopped sobbing a while back, he was still sniffing loudly. His head jerked up, his eyes flying open to reveal the familiar green pupils.

“Miss Megan!” he squealed, jumping to his feet, “I’m s-so sorry.”

“No, don’t be,” Megan insisted, “Are you feeling okay?”

“Y-yes,” Calvin stammered, wiping his face not-so-discreetly, “I’m just s-scared.” Obviously he realized he had said the wrong thing, as his eyes widened in alarm.

Megan shot a confused look at Gizmo, who had a brooding expression on his face. “Scared of what?” Megan asked, returning her gaze to Calvin. “Or rather,” she murmured under her breath, “Whom?”

Calvin’s eyes darted to Gizmo as he fidgeted nervously on his feet. “J-just my m-master- oh! I mean j-just s-someone. N-not that important, Miss M-Megan.”

“Master?” Megan asked relentlessly, “Who is your master, Calvin?”

“Megs,” Gizmo interrupted softly, kneeling down next to her and placing a reassuring hand on her shoulder, “He’s shaken up. We can ask him later, okay?”

Megan took a deep breath, fingering her spectacles; she probably had gotten ahead of herself there. She hoped Calvin wasn’t scared of her too now. She nodded slowly. “I’m sorry Calvin. You don’t have to….yeah. But, just, one last question?” she ended, looking up at Gizmo hopefully. The ends of his lips twitched upwards, but he nodded encouragingly.

“Calvin, did your master… was he…here?” she asked the rouf, scrunching her forehead in concentration. The answer of her question was suddenly incredibly important to her.

“Yes,” Calvin replied, blinking slowly, “And no. At the same time…possibly…just what he does. Always. Habit now…” He seemed to be talking to himself more than anything now. Megan sighed deeply; she knew a lost argument when she saw one.

“Okay,” Megan smiled bravely, standing up next to Gizmo.

“I’m gonna go drink water now,” Calvin squeaked out, bowing at Megan and eying Gizmo nervously before practically running out of the room.

“Well,” Megan raised an eyebrow at Gizmo, “He was jumpy alright. Who do you think was his master?”

“His master…” Gizmo shifted uneasily, “It can be anyone.”

“What do you mean?” Megan asked, raising her eyebrows in interest.

“Roufs aren’t creatures that are…bound to masters. Basically, they take their masters to be anyone who gives them commands and holds a superior rank in the…” Gizmo stopped talking abruptly, his eyes flaring in alarm.

“In the…?” Megan queried with wide eyes. “How do you know all of this?”

He shrugged vaguely, turning his attention to the white cabinet in the room.

Megan felt a familiar pang in her heart; her mind shot back to the last time she had felt like this. This feeling: the feeling when she was betrayed by someone she trusted. Her heart began beating hundred times its normal pace when the memory came back to her. She shook her head firmly; the memory had been buried for a majority of her life and she wasn’t going to allow it to resurface again.