Chapter 14

Chapter 14

Megan thought she heard Anthony swear under his breath but she was too shocked to be sure. Her twin’s eyebrows were raised impossibly high while Nesta looked like all she wanted to do was sink into the ground and disappear. Gizmo stood awkwardly in front of them with his hands in his pockets. His eyes were flitting between Megan and Anthony, an unreadable expression on his face.

“So…” Nesta began quietly, and just like that, the spell broke. Letting out a quiet sob, Megan ran to Holly and enveloped her sister in a huge hug. She didn’t know when Nesta joined in with them, but she had never been so thankful to have Holly and Nesta so close to her.

When Megan finally let go of the other two, she noticed how the three of them seemed to have tears in their eyes. Nesta’s eyes, however, were also filled with unexpected anger as she turned to the Archangel.

“You promised!” she spat, glaring at him with pure hatred.

Anthony didn’t react visibly, although his eyes hardened. When Nesta realized he wasn’t going to respond, she stepped closer to the screen. “We were supposed to wait until they grew older,” she stated in a steady tone, “It was supposed to take place just a year before Gizmo was going to take over as the Archangel of Death.”

“The plan was changed due to unavoidable circumstances,” Anthony recited emotionlessly.

“And what now?” Nesta practically shrieked, “You’re going to kill two literal kids just because of a feud between my family and yours?”

She probably expected Anthony to get angry, or perhaps laugh evilly. Instead, the archangel looked shocked. “So you think this is because of the disagreements between our ancestors?” he asked in disbelief.

Megan, Holly and Gizmo watched quietly as Nesta and the archangel continued their conversation.

“What else would it be about?” Nesta shot back, “It’s not like you care about anything else. That feud is all you were going on about when you hired me.”

“I needed to good reason to hire you,” Anthony snapped, “And don’t talk that way to me. I may not look like it, but I’m human too.”

“Oh really now?” Nesta sneered, “Is watching your only son and an innocent girl die while you can stop it part of being human too?”

Holly leaned closer to Megan and whispered in her ear, “What’s going on?”

Megan instantly felt sorry for her twin. There she was, caught in the middle of a cosmic war while her sister had no idea what was going on. “I’ll fill you in,” she promised, “As soon as we get out of this mess.”

“And what if we don’t get out of this mess?” Holly whispered back, “Nesta told me this Anthony dude wants to kill you, Megs. And this isn’t funny. I don’t want you to die.”

Both of them were holding back tears. As much as Megan wanted to assure her sister that no one was going to die, she wasn’t even sure of that herself. Therefore, she chose not to answer, turning her attention back to Nesta and Anthony instead.

Anthony was now mumbling something, and Nesta stared on with unforgiving eyes. “What do you mean, you can’t stop this?” she screamed, “You’re the freaking Archangel of Death! Isn’t it your in your job description to stop people from dying?”

When Anthony didn’t answer for some time, Megan took the opportunity to study Gizmo. The boy looked much more confused than he was before, and the way his fists were clenched tightly showed her how obviously angry he was. Megan was about to walk to him and console him, like he had done to her on many occasions previously, but she had to remind herself that he was the son of the enemy.