Chapter 12

Chapter 12

Anthony’s eyes glinted with their familiar wickedness. “Megan,” he commanded, “Find that filthy rouf and bring him to me.”

Surprised at being spoken to, Megan stuttered, “The r-rouf?” Gathering herself together, she questioned again, “You mean Calvin?”

“Yes, yes,” Anthony waved his hand around dismissively, “That one. Go find him and bring him here.”

Megan looked at Gizmo, raising her eyebrow as she clenched her fists. She hoped that her silent brain waves were loud enough to penetrate his skull.

“Do I go with her too?” Gizmo asked, turning to face Anthony.

“Ah,” the archangel cocked his head to the side, “Do you think I’d grant you that privilege?” He straightened his tie. “You won’t get any alone time with Megan anymore, boy,” he decided, his eyes as narrow as those of a snake’s. “I won’t allow any more lies to float around this house.”

“Lies?” Megan hissed, “Are you talking to us about lies, Anthony? Whatever happened to your honesty? I don’t seem to find it anywhere I look!” She pretended to think, “What did you tell me the first time you talked to me, Anthony? Something about this not being personal?” She let out a bitter laugh. “And that you’re making this easy for me?”

Megan stepped closer to the screen of the television, her eyes smarting with anger. “If those aren’t lies, Anthony, I don’t know what is.”

And with that, she turned around and walked down the hallway, away from Gizmo and away from Anthony, toward the kitchen at the far end of the passage.

Behind her, she could hear Gizmo and Anthony continue talking, but she wasn’t interested anymore.

Lies. What had Anthony meant by lies? Gizmo hadn’t lied to her. About anything.

Megan’s soles were hurting by now, and taking a deep breath, she stopped her quick pace to lean against the wall to her right. Realization struck her like a blow to the stomach – she was here, in this strange place, along with Gizmo. And somehow, over the past few hours, she had grown to trust him.

And if Gizmo had lied to her, knowing that at this point she was completely dependant on him, she had no idea what she would do.

And in a split second, she made her decision. She wasn’t going to be dependant on Gizmo anymore. She was capable of dealing with this situation on her own, without anyone’s help.

In fifteen minutes’ time, she reached the familiar tall brown doors of the kitchen. Slowly, she pulled them open and stuck her head inside.

“Calvin?”

Low murmurs came from somewhere inside. Hesitantly, Megan stepped in and looked around. The kitchen stood in all its glory, without any trace of the little rouf.

“Calvin?” she tried again, “Where are you?”

“Megan?”

Megan jumped. Instead of hearing Calvin’s voice in response, a deep masculine voice answered her, coming from behind a door to her left.

“Y-yes?” Megan stammered, staying rooted in her position. She had no desire to move in the direction of the new voice, remembering clearly what had happened the last time she had done that.

 “Come in here, silly girl,” the voice chided, “I’m not going to hurt you.”

Something in the voice was bugging her, something different, something disturbing. However, her legs seemed to have a mind of her own, as she found them carrying her toward the door. Her heart was slamming against her chest in a desperate bid to escape, but she knew that there was no way out.