Chapter 11

Chapter 11

“Anthony!” Megan was the first to react.

“Ah,” the archangel’s voice said, “Megan. What a surprise! Missed me?”

“No, not really,” Megan hissed, “Although now that you mention it, I actually miss you absence.”

“And she isn’t the only one,” Gizmo added, looking around for the source of Anthony’s voice. “What happened, Anthony?” he growled, “Too chicken to show yourself?”

“No, not really,” came the reply. The screen in front of them jumped to life almost immediately, brightening up to reveal a smiling Anthony. “Just waiting for the right time,” he finished, his British accent making him sound quite sophisticated.

Megan barely abstained from rolling her eyes. With a deep blue suit and a tie to match, Anthony looked about ready to host an auction. It didn’t help that his calculating blue eyes were focused intently on her. Everything about his eerie smile reminded her of the fact that he was the one who had brought her here, and he held the power to take her back – although something told her he wasn’t about to do that anytime soon.

It all came down to the same thing: she was at his mercy. And he was enjoying every second of it.

“What do you want, Anthony?” she snapped, wrapping her hands around herself protectively. Gizmo seemed to sense her anger, because he took a step closer to her. Reassurance was reflecting off his body in volumes.

“Just checking in on my favourite children,” he beamed, raising his hands warmly. “I’m so glad to know you’ve found my means of communicating with you; namely, this television. It took you quite some time to wander this far.”

“We do our best,” Megan said coldly, narrowing her eyes. “Let me ask you again. What do you want, Anthony?”

“Well if you want to play it that way.” Anthony’s voice acquired its familiar evil. “I was all set to give it to you easy.”

“Stop beating around the bush and man up,” Gizmo commanded, raising his chin as his voice turned defensive. “We’re done playing your silly games. What do you want from us?”

“Entertainment,” he responded, shrugging simply.

“And what makes you think we’ll entertain you?” Megan spat out, her dislike for the man in front of them increasing by the second.

“You have questions,” Anthony replied, “And I have answers. I have jobs and you provide a way to carry them out.”

Megan blinked. Yes, she did have questions, and probably Anthony could provide answers for them. But what were his jobs like, and were they really worth it?

“What do you want us to do?” Gizmo asked, his voice hardening as he unconsciously stepped in front of Megan. She felt a bit of annoyance in her chest; she was quite capable of handling a man on television by herself. Although something in Gizmo’s defensive stance made her bite her tongue and swallow her words; perhaps now wasn’t a good time to initiate a quarrel.

“Just tiny errands,” Anthony answered, clapping his hands together briskly. “And step away from the girl, Gizmo. She isn’t your newest pet.”

“What do you mean by that?” Megan blurted, stepping out from behind Gizmo.

“I can mean lots of things from that sentence, Meggy,” Anthony smiled wickedly, “But if Gizmo hasn’t told you, I won’t even hint around it. After all, it isn’t my secret to tell.” His eyes locked on Gizmo’s as he added the next part. “And your heart isn’t mine to break.”