Part 24

Riddhima's pregnancy continued to progress normally. Armaan had already bonded very well with their unborn baby; he constantly talked, sang and read to the baby. He played Riddhima's favorite music through her iPod; the staff were amused to see a comatose patient with headphones but they had learnt to humor Armaan and took it in good stride, "Hey, Mr. Khanna, I hope you update that iPod with some latest music too....when she wakes up she should be able to keep up with the latest stuff..." Nurse Judy joked with Armaan

"Don't worry Judy...she likes old hindi movie songs, she won't be missing much..." he smiled back.

Around the eight-month, one day Armaan noticed that intermittently Riddhima's facial expression would change as if she was hurting.

"Judy, can you call the doctor? Looks like she is in pain..."

"Oh, Mr. Malik, you read too much in your wife's face....it must be a reflex" Judy dismissed his concerns

"JUDY! PLEASE CALL THE DOCTOR!" Judy was shocked as Armaan had never raised his voice at any of the staff before.

"Yes, Mr. Malik.....I will page Dr Brown"

"Thanks Judy" Armaan gave her an angry look

Dr Brown came in and checked Riddhima, "Hmm....Judy, inform OB...I think she is in labor..."

Dr Brown got up and looked concerned, "I think the D-day is here, Armaan.....let's hope for the best...the child will be born a few weeks early but should do well; I am...am....more worried about Riddhima.....labor could be very stressful, she could lose her life or....."

'OR?" Armaan looked at the doctor quizzically

"Or...or... if we are lucky, it may actually act as a jump start for her sleepy brain.... we will do our best" he patted his shoulder and gave him some consent forms to sign.

"We have to take her to the operating room as a natural delivery may not be possible; we have to be ready for a c-section also..." the doctor informed Armaan.

As the nurse wheeled Riddhima's stretcher out of her room, Armaan stopped her, "Can you wait a minute nurse"

Armaan came close to Riddhima's bed; he took the mangalsutra from her bedside and tied it around her neck and then gently removed the oxygen mask from her face and kissed her softly on her lips, "I will wait for you...come back soon"

The nurse looked at Armaan and then at Riddhima, her eyes also got moist at the tender sight, "Mr. Malik....we will be back soon...."

Armaan and Padma paced up and down outside the operating room. An hour later, a nurse came outside with a baby in a bassinet, "Congratulations Mr. Malik, you are the proud father of a healthy baby girl."

Armaan picked the little package swaddled in blankets, he looked at the cute face, "welcome baby Arima...you are my miracle baby," he hugged her and started crying. Padma took the baby from Armaan and kissed her forehead, "bilkul apni maa jaisi lagti hai.... mujhey yaad hai jab Riddhima paida huyi thi...."

Armaan smiled at Padma and then turned to the nurse.

"Nurse, how is Riddhima?"

"well.... I have good news for you, she had a natural delivery and looks like her body felt the pains.... she even opened her eyes momentarily...right now she is sleeping again."

"can I see her?" he asked

"sure...c'mon in"

Armaan left Arima with Padma and followed the nurse.

After a long time, he saw Riddhima without any tubes or masks on her face, she looked angelic in her sleep- just like the night before he had left for Chicago. He remembered he had said to her, 'abhi tho tum so rahi ho parr jab main wapas aaoonga, tumhey soney nahin doonga."