Part 23

Armaan stayed back in the hospital as the Gupta's and Aaliyah went back to Mr. Gupta's house and dorm, respectively.

He sat in the waiting area with his hands resting on his chin and elbows on knees. The events of the last few weeks, since his arrival to NYC were still fresh in his mind. Now he was not sure, what was real and what was a dream. How could fate be so cruel to both Riddhima and him? hamaara jurm sirf yeh hai ki humney ek doosrey ko bahut pyaar kiya.... yeh hamare pyaar ka imtihaan hai kya? He had never failed in life before.... he was not ready to give up hope that soon.... he was going to fight this time too and make sure he would be Riddhima's strength.... she would have to live....and be there for him just as he would always be there for her.

Next day, the Gupta's and Armaan met with the medical team again

"You never know in such cases......a patient in coma could go on for years in a vegetative state or come out unscathed within a few days or months.....unfortunately we have no way to predict....the good thing is that she is young and healthy with no other injuries and most importantly, she has the support of so many loving people. Medical science cannot explain this, but the will to live and the love of near and dear ones can work wonders.....miracles do happen....so please don't give up hope" The doctor shook hands with everyone and was about to leave, when a nurse brought in some lab results

"Dr Brown, we just received this..."

Dr Brown looked at the labs and frowned, "well, there is a slight complication....looks like Riddhima is pregnant!"

The Gupta's were shocked but Armaan was ecstatic....

"Are you sure doctor?" Shashank asked

"Well, her blood levels for the pregnancy hormone are high, which indicate that the pregnancy is so far viable.... she is lucky as she did lose a lot of blood after the gunshot.... but as you know pregnancy is a big stress on any woman's body.... most patients in coma don't survive their pregnancies. As the pregnancy is still in its early stage, it would be advisable to terminate it.... that would improve Riddhima's chances of survival." Dr Brown advised

"NO! That is not an option!" Armaan intervened

The Gupta's and the doctor looked at Armaan in surprise.

"Armaan.... are you crazy.... abhi tho tum Riddhima sey pyaar karney ka daava karr rahey the, aur ab ussey maut ke nazdeek dhakel rahe ho...." Shashank raised his voice too.
"Doctor.... I am her husband...you even have proof from the Hindu priest now.... please let me be the decision maker...." Armaan ignored Shashank and looked at the Doctor's eyes.

"Well, Mr. Malik, you may never see your wife, let alone your child again"

"Or doctor, I may see both alive and healthy in a few months...." Armaan said optimistically

"Well.... anything is possible...." The doctor hesitated

"Then please don't terminate the pregnancy" Armaan reaffirmed

Padma spoke, "Armaan...tum bahut emotional ho rahey ho.... waise humein idea nahin tha tum aur Riddhima itni aagey badh chukey ho.... yadi Riddhima bach gayi tho tum logon ke bachche tho aur ho jaayengey.... parr yadi..." she started sobbing.

"Aunty....main jaanta hoon iss mey bahut risk hai....parr main itna bhi jaanta hoon ki uss bachche ke roop mein main Riddhima ke saath hoon.....aur Riddhima ko ladh ney ke liye meri shakti ki bhi zaroorat padhegi.....wo bachcha hi hum dono ki shakti hai...warna aap sochiye itney burey accident ke baad bhi wo survive karr gaya hai.....that child is strong....mera mann kehta hai......this baby is going to be Riddhima's strength.....i think that is why she is still alive....." Armaan had tears in his eyes as he said that.

Anjali had tears in her eyes as she heard Armaan; she tried to smile and reassure him, "Armaan.... I hope your dreams come true..." she squeezed his hand.

"Anjali.... I don't need your good wishes.... I have faith in my love" Armaan jerked his hand away from hers

Dr Brown sensed the tension, " well......we don't have to decide today.... we have a few days to make this decision...."

"The decision has been made, Dr Brown...." Armaan said firmly and walked out of the room.

THE NEXT FEW WEEKS:

Shashank and Anjali left for India. Armaan kept his interactions with them to a minimum and dropped hints on several occasions that they were not welcome there.

Padma insisted on staying back; she became very close to Armaan during this period. Armaan took a leave of absence from his job and rented an apartment near the hospital. He insisted that Padma also stay with him. Padma and Armaan took turns waiting in the hospital and attending to Riddhima's needs. Riddhima was transferred to a private room and one of them could even stay there with her all night.
Armaan made sure he talked and interacted with Riddhima throughout this period. He was convinced she could sense his presence. "Believe me Judy, I have seen her smile when I talk to her" he tried to convince the nurse one day.

"Well, Mr. Malik...it could be a reflex also" she tried to scientifically explain things to him.

"I know.... I know.... hey but you can always humor me" Armaan and the nurse both started laughing. Armaan kept a positive attitude and had promised to himself that he would not shed a single tear. He even had Padma erase all negative thinking from her thoughts.

Muskaan and Rahul also visited Armaan after a few weeks.

"Armaan.... please jo bhi kharcha ho.... we will do it, after all she is a member of our family now...." Rahul insisted, as he was aware that medical care in the US would be very expensive.

Armaan read a lot of books to Riddhima and their unborn child. Once when he was reading, with his hand on Riddhima's tummy, he felt a kick on his hand. He looked up in surprise and felt the same flutter again.... he had tears in his eyes.... tears of joy.... he knew their baby was moving now. "Kaash Riddhima bhi yeh feel karr sakti..." he was sad for the first time...sad that Riddhima was not able to experience one of the biggest joys of being a woman.

"Riddhima, I will make sure, you have many such opportunities in future" he smiled to himself as he remembered how petrified Riddhima had been when Armaan had mentioned babies for the first time.

Armaan shared the good news with Padma and Aaliyah that evening. Padma would cook dinner and bring it to the hospital every evening. Aaliyah would also join them sometimes. "Toh Armaan...tumney tho naam bhi soch liye hongey.... batao kaun sey naam hain tumhari list main" Aaliyah asked as she licked her fingers after eating delicious homemade food.

"Arima...." Armaan said

"Arima? Bas ek hi naam...aur ladka hua tho?" Aaliyah enquired

"nahin...ladki hogi..." Armaan said confidently

"Armaan...you have so much confidence in yourself.... may be over confidence.... galat bhi tho ho saktey ho..." Aaliyah said

Armaan gave her a sharp look, "Aaliyah...Riddhima aur mera pyaar hi aisa hai...tum nahin samjhogi" he was visibly upset. Lately, he had become very sensitive, any negative thoughts or comments about Riddhima or his child irritated him. Padma had figured that out about him and made sure she was always upbeat.

"I am sorry Armaan." Aaliyah said softly, "main jaanti hoon Riddhima aur tumhara pyaar bahut anokha hai.... I don't think I will ever see love like yours in this life time."

"I am sorry Aaliyah...it is just that so many people have discouraged me about having any hope for Riddhima and the baby, that I have become a little touchy...it is not your fault" he got up and hugged Aaliyah, "Thanks for being there Aaliyah.... we are lucky to have a friend like you..."