38: Disappearance

Isaac, Danny, Stiles, and Liam headed towards the locker room.

"Where's Scott and Kira?" Isaac asked.

"At Derek's," Stiles answered.

"Why are they at Derek's?" Danny asked.

"Scott wanted to take Kira on a date since they haven't really had a date. So Derek told him he could use the loft."

"Let's hope they didn't use his bed," Isaac snickered.

"Dude!"

Danny laughed.

"But he'll be here right?" Liam asked.

"He'll be here," Stiles sighed as they walked into the locker room. "I got a text from him this morning. He said he might be a little late."

"Well, how late is late? Is he always late?"

"Not always," Isaac said. "Usually it's Stiles."

"You're not helping," Stiles said, giving the beta a look.

"We're playing Devenford Prep again and this time it's an actual game. He... He shouldn't be late."

Isaac put a hand on Liam's shoulder. "Liam—"

Coach cut him off. "Who shouldn't be late?"

Stiles looked at Liam and he sighed.

"Scott and Kira," Liam said, sullenly.

"They might be slightly late," Stiles added.

"Slightly late is still late. What are they doing?"

The boys looked at each other, none of them really wanting to tell Coach what they assumed the two were doing.

"They're, uh...," Stiles started. "Doing something that's going to make them slightly late."

"What could Scott and Kira be doing right now that's more important than them playing in the first game?"

The boys looked at each other again.

"Should we give him a hint or wait until he's older?" Isaac asked.

Danny's lip quivered from him trying not to laugh.

"Oh, Coach," Stiles said.

Coach seemed to realize what they were hinting at and all emotion drained from his face. "Oh."

~~~

Isaac pulled Liam aside. "What's wrong?" he asked.

"Nothing."

"You know I can hear your heartbeat."

Liam sighed. "Scott's not here."

"There's more to it than Scott not being here. If you're worried about tomorrow night, you shouldn't be." Liam glanced up at the moon. "You haven't learned to anchor yet, have you?"

Liam shook his head. "It's easier to stay in control on the field when Scott's there."

"I got an idea," He turned Liam around. "I want you to look in the crowd."

Liam did as Isaac suggested, before seeing Lindsey and Mason. Lindsey saw him looking and gave a smile before waving.

"If you start to feel like you're losing control on the field, focus on her. Let her be your anchor for at least tonight."

Liam looked back at Isaac. "What's your anchor?"

"The memory of my father before he started to abuse me." Isaac put a hand on the freshman's shoulder. "Come on. I'm sure Scott and Kira will be here. Let's just focus on the game and kicking Davenport's ass."