4: Young Wolf

It was raining by the time they reached Beacon Hills. Kira had to be home and she knew she was already going to be in trouble for being home so late on a school night. Isabel headed to the clinic while Stiles dropped off Kira.

Dr. Alan Deaton was already waiting. He opened the door for Isabel. "Where's the others?" he asked.

"They had to drop Kira off since she was past her curfew."

"You were pretty vague when you called."

"I had to be. It was Kate that took Derek, not the Calaveras. And you're not going to believe what she did to him."

"I take it you found him?"

"So to speak."

They heard the Jeep pull up then. Isabel went to the door to open it for them as Deaton cleared off an exam table. Scott laid Derek on the table, who was still out cold. Deaton finally looked at Derek once they had him settled and he froze, blinking in surprise.

"Wow," he said after a moment.

"Told you," Isabel said.

"Wow?" Stiles asked. "Wow as in 'I've seen this before and I know exactly what to do' kind of wow? Because that's the kind of wow we're looking for."

"You might be overestimating my abilities." Deaton looked at Isabel. "Where did you find him?"

"Behind a relief of the ancient Aztec jaguar god." She motioned to Derek. "We found him in all his teenaged glory."

Stiles opened his mouth.

"One smartassed quip about robbing the cradle from you and you're going to find yourself across the room."

Stiles immediately closed his mouth, causing a giggle to come out of Malia.

"He's really cold," Lydia said.

Deaton went to work checking his vitals and trying to find out why Derek was so cold.

"Do you think this is permanent?" Scott asked.

"I'm not sure a medical diagnosis is even adequate," Deaton responded. "This is well beyond my experience."

"Unless Kate found the Fountain of Youth, we have no idea how she even did this," Isabel added. She brushed Derek's hair out of his face.

"So what do we do?" Stiles asked.

"For now, nothing," Deaton answered. "Leave him here with me. It's probably the safest place for him."

Scott nodded. "Kate can't get to him here once the gate is closed."

"Why would she do this to him?" Malia asked.

"Knowing Kate," Deaton said. "She probably did this for something that would only benefit her."

"The question remains on what that could possibly be," Isabel added.

Malia yawned while Stiles stretched his neck. Scott looked like he was about to fall asleep standing up.

"You guys should probably go home," Deaton said. "He doesn't look to be in any danger right now. The rest of you should get some sleep. It is a school night."

Isabel smiled at Deaton being the parental figure he seemed to have settled into for as long as she'd known him.

"You guys do need to start taking care of your own lives. And I'm sure Lindsey will want an update tomorrow."