36: Survival

Stilinski rushed into the room, Lydia right behind him. Peter and Meredith were stock still. He had his eyes closed as he looked at her memories to find out how she knew him.

"Don't touch them!" Lydia said as Stilinski approached Peter.

"It'll kill them both," Parrish added.

"Then what do we do? Wait until he decides he's seen enough?"

"Pretty much."

"What? Are you suddenly an expert on the supernatural?"

Parrish just looked at Stilinski.

"Right. Yeah. Forgot you were actually born into this and just acted like you were clueless."

Meredith suddenly started muttering.

"What's happening? Can either of you understand that?"

"I can hear it perfectly," Lydia said.

"Is she speaking in Banshee?"

"Really, Stilinski?" Parrish asked.

"She was in the hospital," Lydia seemed to be in a slight trance as she listened. "The same hospital."

"The same hospital as Peter?"

Lydia nodded. "It was right after the fire. Meredith could hear him."

"Hear what?" Stilinski asked. "He was comatose."

"She could hear everything. She was hearing every thought in his head like they somehow found the same wavelength. And now everything going through his mind was also going right into hers."

"For how long?"

"Weeks. Maybe even months. It was almost like he was standing right over her bed talking about the fire. About getting revenge."

"On the Argents?"

"On everyone. The fire did something to him that made him break and blame everyone and everything." Lydia looked at Peter. "It was his idea. Seven years ago."

Peter suddenly pulled his claws out of Meredith and he fell backward. Parrish caught Meredith before she fell out of the chair. Stilinski drew his piece and pointed it at Peter. Peter, in turn, looked up at him, a puzzled look on his face.

"Whoa. I just needed to know how she knew me," he said.

"It was your idea and you don't even remember," Lydia said.

"What? How the hell was I supposed to remember that? I was in a freaking coma!"

"She got it from you."

"I realize that now. But I was out of my mind. I just lost almost my entire family to a fire and barely survived myself. Do you know what it's like for one of us to be in a coma? Paralyzed but cognizant? You try not going crazy."

"She was listening to you," Parrish said.

"She was listening to the ranting and raving of a lunatic," Peter paused. "A former lunatic. I'm much healthier now." He looked at Stilinski. "I had nothing to do with this."

"If she was following your lead on this, then how do we know there isn't more?"

"Wait, are we back to me being the bad guy again?"

"You're the only one here with the motive to kill everyone."

"Why would I put my own family on the list? Why would I put Derek and Malia on a hit list?"

"Stop," Lydia suddenly said. "This is what she wants. Sheriff, there's three people in here that are still on the dead pool. Me, Parrish, and Meredith."