15: Bullies and Valkyries

Lindsey and Danny just looked at Isaac.

"Say what?" Lindsey asked.

"The assassin is on the team. Stiles figured out what the marks on Carrie's chest were." Isaac took the end of his lacrosse stick off. "This was the shape."

"So, what? He has a dagger hidden in his stick or something?" Danny asked.

"Yeah."

"What is Scott going to do?" Lindsey asked.

"Play," Isaac answered. "He thinks he's going to go after one of us on the field tonight and that is the best way to catch him."

"By playing bait?" Lindsey said it a little louder than she intended and she looked around. A few students were looking at them.

"Somebody has to be," Isaac said. "It's going to be either, Scott, Kira, me, or Liam, that he's going to be after."

"I am not okay with this."

"I know."

"You know I'm not going to be able to help," Danny said. "I'm going to be in goal."

"I know. Scott knows. We'll be okay."

Lindsey just looked at him and opened her mouth to make another comment when she heard Mason calling Liam's name. She turned her head to see Liam looking like he was on a mission and not liking the look on his face.

Isaac's head whipped around. "We might want to follow him," he said. The three teens followed Liam and Mason out the door. Where the Davenport Prep team was exiting their bus.

"Liam, no!" Mason said.

"Brett!"

A blond-haired kid stopped. He looked to be either a junior or senior. And he wasn't happy to see Liam approaching him.

"Oh, here we go," Mason groaned.

"What's going on?" Lindsey asked.

"It's Liam's old school. He's kinda upset that they're here."

Brett stepped close to Liam.

"I just wanted to say," Liam held his hand out, "Have a good game."

Brett looked at his teammates before they all laughed.

"That's cute, Liam," he said. "Is that what they told you to say in anger management? Apologize and everything's fine? You demolished Coach's car."

Lindsey could tell Liam was struggling to control his anger. She reached out and took his wrist. "Liam," she whispered.

"I paid for it," Liam said.

"Yeah, you're going to pay for it," Brett said. "We're going to break you in half out there. And it's going to be all your fault."

Scott, Stiles, and Isaac suddenly joined them.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa," Scott said in a low voice. "Let's go."

Stiles stepped between the prep students and Liam. "Hey, what's going on, prep students?" He said.

"Is he shifting?" Lindsey whispered while Stiles distracted everyone by being the welcome wagon.

"Yes. Let go. We'll get him calm."

Lindsey nodded and took a step back as Stiles finished his little speech and the three juniors ran off with Liam.

"I swear to God your friends are weird," Mason said.

"I know."

"Hey." Lindsey turned to see Brett was talking to her. "Tell your little boyfriend that we'll see him on the field."