Chapter Forty Seven

Maible found me at lunch and pulled me into the cafeteria. Ignoring my surprise, she started rattling on as I stood there smiling. It didn't matter whether I remembered our time together or not. In minutes, she'd told me everything I needed to know. All that meant to me, though, was that she was my friend—a real one.

"So you agreed to go with Calin to the dance?" Maible asked, staring across the lunch table as though she'd never met me.

I shrugged. "If you come." Swallowing, I pointed my fork in her direction. "That was a major stipulation. In fact, it was the deciding factor, so if you don't come—with us—I won't go."

She didn't falter. Still looking at me as though I was nuts, she smiled and said, "Oh, I'm coming." She leaned forward. "With you."

"You don't care that he used you to get me to go?"

"Why would I? If I could do it and not be twisted, I would. But I can't use myself. It's perfect." She smiled.

Her and Calin were like twins. Identical thoughts, which meant I really needed to watch my step. Everything I said or did with one, but hopefully not what I wanted to do with the one not present, would be confided to the other.

"It is perfect, isn't it?" For once, I actually believed it. I set my fork down and looked around the cafeteria, feeling rather than seeing someone watching me. My skin crawled under the intensity, familiar as it was. Finally, during my second round, I saw him.

Calin leaned against the wall beside the cafeteria doors, his hands in his front pockets and the sole of one foot propped up, bent at the knee. He was staring at me without shame and smiling. The moment he realized I saw him, his smile grew and he inclined his head to the side, darting his eyes at the door.

More than one person saw our silent exchange, watching to see it play out.

I stood up and took a step towards Calin, and then paused. Turning only my head, I asked Maible, "Do you mind if I go?" I pointed to Calin.

She waved her fork in the air and struggled to swallow while grinning. "Please." She rolled her eyes. "If you don't take what he's offering, I will serve myself as a willing second helping."

I couldn't help but laugh. "You're special, Maible. Has anyone ever told you that?"

She shrugged. "Just my mirror."

"I'll record it in your next birthday card," I said, though I had no idea when that was. My smile faded. "Why don't you come over before the dance and we can get ready? We can take our time so Calin has to wait."

She looked up, her eyes becoming brighter. "That sounds great."

I nodded and looked back to Calin. Ignoring everyone around us, I hurried across the room, every step adding butterflies to my nerves. My feet were lead, my head filled with air. Calin didn't move, watching every single step from below hooded eyes. He appraised me for a full minute after I stopped a foot in front of him, and then he glanced slowly around the room as though noticing people were watching us.

Calin stood straight and pulled his hands from his pockets without losing his smile. He waved his hand towards the door and followed me through, and all the scrutiny was left behind as we entered the hallway. Was it him everyone was so interested in, or me? Or was it Duvessa? Everyone was curious to see what she would do when Calin and I were seen together.

"Where are we going?" I asked.

Calin looked behind us, then back to me and smiled. He grabbed my hand in a grip I couldn't break and pulled me around the halls until we reached the back door. The door slammed against the outside wall and suddenly, I was blinded by the sun.