Chapter Twenty-Four

I gave up trying to force my mind clear and a sense of calm enveloped me. Thinking, it seemed, caused anxiety. To let go—forget all about forgetting—was peaceful. It couldn't last, I knew, but right now I was too tired for anything except acceptance. So long as someone would tell me my name.

But as soon as the secretary heard my problem, she clammed up. Her mouth opened and closed, and then she bent her head and began typing, which sounded like a speedy version of Morose Code. She hit a final key with a punch of her finger and picked up the phone, rolling away to speak in hushed tones as her eyes darted my way over and over again.

Didn't she know I wasn't contagious?

She put the phone down and stood, bracing her hands on her desk as she stood with a too-bright smile. "Dr. Stanzo will be right—"

The office door opened and hushed voices floated into the hall. The secretary's shoulders slumped and she fell back into her seat with a sigh, appearing grateful. Funny, but I was never her responsibility.

"Nora!"

I looked up to the woman who had come out of the room and the dark-haired beauty at her side. Dr. Stanzo was beautiful, sure, but reserved. The other girl, who still looked young enough to be in high school, looked like she loved the attention of standing out. Not with grunge and rebellion, but glamour. Her smoky black-rimmed brown eyes, framed by razored layers running diagonally across her face, were sharp and focused.

She clearly recognized me and since there was no one else present for Dr. Stanzo to be staring at behind me, I had just learnt my name.

Dr. Stanzo's eyes narrowed on me. "Are you alright, Nora?"

"She doesn't remember who she is," the secretary said.

"Tracy," Dr. Stanzo said. "We don't discuss a patient in front of another patient, remember?" She turned to me. "I'm sorry, Nora. Why don't you come into my office so we can talk?"

Instead of answering or obeying, I darted my eyes between the women. Tracy, after being chastised, stared at her computer monitor. Dr. Stanzo watched me, and the girl at her side looked between us.

"You lost your memory again?" the girl asked, breaking the silence.

"Duvessa—"

"It's okay, Dr. Stanzo," I said, raising my hand to cut her off. I stood and wiped my palms against my thighs, never losing eye contact with the girl. "Are we friends?"

"We go to school together," she said, her voice lilting like a question had been posed. "I'm Duvessa Larkin. You're Noreena Dwyer, but everyone calls you Nora."

"Do I... lose my memory a lot? You said again."

"Technically, you've only lost your memory once," Dr. Stanzo said, "but you've had a couple of setbacks. It's not uncommon for those with amnesia."

"And what's that?" I asked.

"Excuse me?" Dr. Stanzo's eyebrows rose. "What's what?"

"What kind of amnesia do I have?" I asked, feeling as though that was a question that I had wanted to know the answer to.

"Well, why don't you come inside, and we'll talk about it?" Dr. Stanzo gestured to her office doorway. "In private."

"Have you been home, Nora?" Duvessa took a step towards me, her eyes narrowed. "Does Devland know about this yet?"

"Who?" I refocused on Duvessa and ignored the look Dr. Stanzo gave her. Wariness creased within the subtle wrinkles around her eyes, but I didn't understand. Dr. Stanzo kept saying we should talk, but so far Duvessa had been the one to reveal everything but my name, and even that hadn't been intentional.

"Devland is your father," Duvessa said. She took another step forward until we were face-to-face. "Why don't I drive you home, Nora? I'm sure he can explain everything, and I'm pretty certain that's where he'd want you to be right now." She turned to Dr. Stanzo. "He'd probably be angry if she wasn't brought home with the first opportunity."

"No. Nora," Dr. Stanzo said, "I can have Tracy call him to fetch you, and we can talk while we wait for him to arrive. Or I can drive you or Calin could?"

"Who?"

I didn't want to make a decision based on a name I couldn't put a face to. Plus, I felt exhausted enough to sleep standing up, and Duvessa was right here. There would be no waiting if I left with her.

"Calin. He's your closest friend," Dr. Stanzo said.

"Considering I know three people other than myself right now, that's not saying much, Dr. Stanzo." I put my hand up. "Excuse me? What about my mom?"

"She's no longer with us." Dr. Stanzo glanced at the floor.

Duvessa cleared her throat and looked me straight in the eye. "Your mom died, Nora."

"Oh." Hearing that should probably hurt, but I was too tired to contemplate what it meant. Unless Dr. Stanzo had a bed tucked away in her office, I had to go. I turned to Duvessa. "Please take me home."

"Nora—"

"I'm tired!" I turned back to Dr. Stanzo and drew in a deep breath, feeling on the verge of passing out. "Look, if you're my doctor, which I don't doubt since I somehow found my way here, we'll talk soon. Just... I need to sleep, okay?"

She sighed and held my gaze. A minute passed. Finally, she nodded, and looked at Duvessa, saying out of the side of her mouth, "Tracy, please call Mr. Dwyer and explain to him that Noreena has had a setback. Tell him she made her way here and that she is fine, and Duvessa Larkin will be bringing her home. They should arrive in no more than twenty minutes."

Duvessa gave Dr. Stanzo a too-bright smile and then turned back to me so her back faced her, and rolled her eyes. "Ready?"

"Yes, please."

"Oh, don't forget your bag."

"Thanks." I took the bag from her and slung it over my shoulder.

Neither of us looked back, though I could feel Dr. Stanzo's eyes as she watched us leave.