Chapter Forty

Calin's lips pressed against mine and my eyes widened in surprise. It was exactly what I wanted but not at all what I expected. The calm his touch gave me departed but the excitement I thought would replace it didn't come. There was no connection, no electricity to urge me to ask for more. It was uncomfortable, awkward.

How was that possible when his hand on my back could send my nerves spiraling?

When our gazes locked could seemingly pause the world around us?

I put my hand on his chest and tried to push him away. His grip on my shoulders tightened. My opened my eyes, narrowing them to slits, and tried pulling back with my neck while pushing with my hands once more. He leaned forward but a small space opened between us, leaving just enough room for me to raise my knee.

"What the hell?"

Suddenly, someone tugged me from behind and I fell to the ground before my knee connected with his groin. It was disappointing, but I was free. A familiar crack sounded, followed by a groan. I looked up and gasped.

Calin had Calin's shirt bunched in his left hand, his right arm pulled back to swing. I crawled back another five feet and stared, disbelieving. How could there be two? They were identical except that the Calin I had been kissing wore a white shirt instead of blue.

The one who came from behind dropped the other boy from his grasp and lowered his arm. "Who the hell are you?"

The other boy smiled, keeping eye contact with Calin without saying a word. He was amused, like this was a big joke to him. How did he know where to find me? Was it that obvious that I would kiss Calin? Did I seem so desperate, it was just a matter of waiting for Calin to make a move because I didn't have the guts to? Why the hell was this boy here?

Calin raised his fist again. I jumped to my feet and grabbed his arm, the familiar connection zinging through me. He looked at my hand and lowered his arm again, his expression softening.

"Are you okay?"

"I—" I bit my lip and shook my head. Any honesty from me at this point would cause his fist to find a landing field on the other Calin's face. My lip began to tremble.

Calin's expression hardened again. He turned back to the other boy. "Who are you?"

I took a step backwards as they glared at each other. There was something wrong with me if everyone thought it was okay to play tricks on me. I couldn't stand it. As the emotions built, something inside of me began to release. Energy. I looked to the boy and wished he'd never appeared. Could I do that? Wish someone out of existence? Or could I imagine him to be himself without knowing who that was?

What did it take to break a spell?

How did I learn to do a spell to accomplish that?

"What are you doing here?" Calin's voice interrupted my thoughts but it didn't calm the swirling within me. "Why are you pretending to be me?"

The boy grinned wider. He turned his gaze from Calin to me. "Stop it, Nora..." He raised his eyebrow. "Fallyn? Or is it Dwyer now?" He laughed. "Do you even know?"

"Leave. Her. Alone."

The boy ignored Calin and shifted his weight. "Nora. Stop. You're ineffective."

My confusion turned to anger, and I could feel the energy building at my feet, traveling upward. Thunder clapped overhead, and the boy spread his arms wide. Lightning zapped behind the makeshift fence made of trees. I balled my fists at my sides and narrowed my eyes. My jaw hurt from clenching my teeth. Don't let it go. Focus.

"You see?" the boy asked, laughing. "You don't know what you're doing and have no focus, which means no control. You're powerful enough for that—" he pointed to the sky and narrowed his eyes at me "—but you're not able to cut my glamour down."

"You forget about me," Calin growled, stepping in front of me to block the boy from seeing me.

Without him in my vision, I felt cheated, like I needed to bowl through Calin to get the boy out of our vicinity. Whatever he was—he'd kissed me! That was tantamount to molestation, knowing that I would never consent. Sure, if it was the right Calin, I would have been over the moon, but his was just... wrong! How could someone pretend to be someone else like this, and then try to manipulate another's affection like that?

How could they try do that to me?

The sky darkened to black and lightning zipped between the clouds, never touching down. Thunder rumbled to shake the ground and my breathing became ragged, like I was grunting through a drill during football practice with a mouthguard protecting my teeth. My eyes narrowed, but I couldn't move to see around Calin, I was too scared of letting go. The boy was right; I didn't have control.

The boy's laughter tinkled against my nerves. "Ooh, I'm scared now, Calin." He must have made a face from the intake of Calin's breath, but I couldn't see. Just as quickly, his voice sobered, and he said, "You don't have the know-how, even if you're strong enough."

"You need to go."

"Make me."

Calin stepped towards the boy, who laughed. Every nerve in my body hummed, begging to be released. Scared of what would happen if I gave in, I turned and sprinted back to the school. Even if I had my car, it wouldn't be safe to drive, and the thought of running home made me want to hurl. My entire body vibrated. Was it energy or anger? How did I make it stop?

The door flung open with the wind and just as I made it into the hallway, rain began pelting down so hard, it sounded as though it was slapping the side of the school. I choked on the breath I was holding, letting go. The energy I'd been holding onto ran out of me like fluid electricity. I felt it leave, taking my anger and flinging it outside with Calin and the boy as the door finally closed, shutting them out.

I looked up. The hall was empty. I stopped and bent at the waist, resting my hands on my knees as I gasped for breath. The rhythm of my heart was easy to control once air filled my lungs, but my blood roiled, exciting my nerves once more. What the hell was that? Who was that?

I stood straight and raised my hand in front of me, trying to control the trembling. Clenching my hands into fists, I dropped them to my sides. With a deep breath and slow exhale, I started down the hall, nearly tip-toeing as I tried to remain soundless. Even if I felt a wreck, outwardly I would remain calm. No one would be able to detect my distress, and if Duvessa was behind today's acts, there would be nothing she would find satisfaction with except maybe the storm outside. Yes, I would let her know where that'd come from and what instigated its arrival.

Duvessa was going to regret what she'd done.

Once my memory was back and I understood how what just happened was possible, I would end her antics. First, I needed to go back. I pulled open the door to the library and ignored all the eyes that followed me as I zeroed in on the computers. In just a few minutes, I was logged in and typing what I hoped would be what my memory needed to be triggered: Grimas High School Senior Yacht Trip.