Chapter Twenty Eight

Back upstairs, I ran through the sitting room but paused just before entering the bedroom. Onyx sat with her tail swishing behind her, greeting me with a growl. Her lip curled back and she rumbled from deep within the back of her throat. Still, she didn't crouch. Her eyes didn't narrow.

I put my hand on my hip and stuck a foot in front of me. "Okay, dog. New rule: you bark in greeting—a happy sound—or you stay quiet. No more growling."

Onyx barked.

"See?"

She rushed forward, taking me by surprise. I lost my balance and tripped over my own feet, but was laughing too hard to notice the momentary pain at the small of my back or hear the thud of my collapse. There was just laughter and Onyx's barking, and then the rough sandpaper sliding a moist trail down my face as she licked me.

Doggy breath and all, it felt great, like there was nothing else to worry about.

But Onyx began nipping at the collar of my shirt and the fun dissipated. I pushed her back. She wiggled in closer, her teeth hooking the fabric. Pushing her again, harder this time, I tried to get up. Another low growl sounded.

"Stop it!"

I pushed Onyx back one last time and she skidded a few feet away on the smooth surface of the floor. Before she could regroup, I scrambled to my feet and backed towards the door leading into my bedroom, never taking my eyes off her. She stared back at me but didn't move to follow.

How could a dog go from growling to happy, and then from attack to what now appeared to be sad, dejected?

The hurt in her eyes was almost enough for me to feel bad for reacting to her momentary psychotic break. But it wasn't enough to lose my sense of self-preservation. I took a final step back and gripped the edge of the door, tearing my gaze away so I could close it before my mind was changed.

First, shower. Then figure out Calin's warning. If there was time after trying to understand my obedience school drop-out, I would go look at my studio. Art. Maybe something in there could jog my memory.

*****

Everything was exactly as Calin said it could be found, which meant Dr. Stanzo must have been right. Calin was a friend. How else did he know the layout of my bedroom and what lay beyond? Were we more than friends?

He would have said something if we were more.

Wouldn't he?

I jumped in the shower, rushing, wanting to get in and out so I could start looking into things. I didn't know what, exactly, but anything seemed like it could hold importance. Everything could be a clue to finding out who I was. What I should know but didn't, because obviously there was a lot I was missing. Was it me? Did I want to forget? Or was it something no one could control?

In ten minutes I was dressed in comfy clothes and back in my room. Not bothering to brush my hair, I threw it in a high bun on the top of my head, and made a beeline to the desk. What was sitting in the open was of little interest. Normal people didn't leave what they cherished out for everyone to see. Opening the top drawer, I hoped I hadn't been paranoid or sneaky enough for secret hiding spots.

If so, it would be what would help the most and never found unless I discovered something else that hinted to its location.

But I found nothing, not even a sticky note. Everything seemed to be new with its wrapper or tag still in place. Was I some sort of delinquent who refused homework? Devland wouldn't have let me stay home if my grades would suffer, would he? Maybe I was just smart, like homework wasn't challenging enough to have to do outside of school. So, was I a nerd?