Chapter Ten

I didn't need a dream to remember Onyx.

The moment I saw her I remembered her, and when she jumped up to lick my face, I felt like I'd come home. Or home had come to me, whichever made the most sense. Either way, I knew she belonged with me. After feeling like I knew nothing for so long, knowing something belonged to me was everything.

She sat with me at dinner—even Miss Rose's scowl didn't deter her—and followed every step I took as if she was scared of letting me out of her sight. As though she was afraid she'd be taken away from me again. But Calin had stopped and bought me my therapy journals on the way home.

Onyx was my first entry.

The second was Calin—I couldn't put him first knowing he might open it and see. I would have to find a way to hide the entry from being dissected during therapy. But Dr. Stanzo was right: I didn't want to forget them if I had another set-back. Everything was important, even what toothpaste I preferred. The third entry became a list jotted down in point form using arrows for bullets:

--> Mom is dead;

--> Lost memory in accident;

--> Trust Calin—maybe Dr. Stanzo;

--> Wary of Devland;

--> Hate Miss Rose, but love Mrs. Renaldi.

I put my pen to my lips and tapped. Was anything missing? Of course.

--> Maible is a friend; and

--> Accident = me falling off the side of a yacht on a school trip.

A knock sounded at my bedroom door and I quickly pushed the journal under my pillows, looking up just in time. Devland walked in without waiting for an answer. He stood at the door, looking around the room as though it needed an inspection, and then frowned at me. Still, he didn't come closer, and Onyx, already at my side, shifted so that Devland would have to reach her first.

"Are you feeling alright?" he asked.

"Yep." I looked down and rubbed Onyx's head, just between her ears. It was meant to appear lazy, but really, I was congratulating her for her loyalty.

"It's eight-thirty in the evening, Nora."

"And?"

He sighed, shifting to place his hands in his trouser pockets and leaned against the doorframe. "I just spoke with Dr. Stanzo."

"Oh?"

Do not show interest or he'll throw away the key to your cage.

"She said you're ready for school," he said. "What do you think about it? Are you ready? I mean, do you feel like you are ready to go back? So soon?"

I looked up, taken by surprise. Since when did what I want matter? Was it a trick? Or was he serious? It was a valid question, one I had been asking since waking without a memory. There was only one question that held more importance: did he care? Because so far, it seemed like everything he'd done was for his own gain or for appearance. Most of the time, these were contradicting behaviors and left me feeling confused.

"Noreena?"

"I thought the reason you pushed me into therapy was because what I think can't be trusted?" I shrugged, trying to sluff off his question without having to provide an honest response. "I mean, with no memory, what do I know?"

"I'd still like your opinion."

So he could get my hopes up and then knock me down?

"Dr. Stanzo says you're fit for school, Nora, and... I agree."

What? "You do?" My hand paused to hover above Onyx's head, so close the tip of her fur tickled my palm. I thought he'd seriously wanted my opinion so that he would have a valid reason to tell Dr. Stanzo why he wouldn't let me return. I blinked rapidly as though trying to bring him into focus. This didn't make sense. "I can go back to school tomorrow?"

"If you explain why you're already in bed. If you're tired—"

"No!" I swallowed. "I just—I wanted some time with Onyx and a good night sleep so I could go back. I mean, I want to return to school and feel normal again."

He took a step forward and dug into the inner pocket of his duster. I held my breath, curious but wary. But then he smiled and withdrew his hand, a thick black leather-bound book in its grasp. As soon as he reached the side of the bed where I sat with my legs stretched out in front of me, he held it out.

Onyx moved to stay between us.

"Dr. Stanzo said that writing things down after they happen might help with your memories," he said. "It's a journal. I had it engraved with your initials."

I was too surprised to accept it, not just for the gesture, but the recommendation that had prompted it. Why would she say that to Devland when we were supposed to keep things a secret? When I didn't take it right away, Devland shrugged and set the book on the bed, and the took a step back.

"Well anyway, I'm going to take the morning off. I'd like to drive you."

"Um, can Calin?" I looked from the book to him and tried to muster a small smile. "It's just, I'm already going to be eye candy for the whole school. I'd like to keep the rest—the things I can control—as low-key as possible. Showing up with you? Won't help."

"Fine," he said, "but if anything happens—"

"I'll be E.T. and phone home." I nodded, taking a page from his book and tried to visualize his acceptance.

"If you feel at all—"

"I know how to dial a phone, you know." I rolled my eyes and looked down, petting Onyx while hiding a smile.

"Yes, well, maybe you should write our phone number on your hand just in case."

"What—?" I cut myself off as I looked up and saw him laughing. It was too strange, something I'd thought impossible coming from him. "You're funny."

"It's a valid suggestion." Devland shrugged.

"An unnecessary one. I'll be with Calin, remember?" Even if I went to school to find I had no friends, Calin wouldn't allow me to be put into that position, not without a way to get me out of it.

He lost his smile and began edging back towards the door. "I'll see you at breakfast then. Do you have what you need?"

What a funny question. Of course, I had what was needed. There were enough clothes hanging in the closet so I wouldn't need to do laundry for a year and it had only been a couple of weeks since the accident. I couldn't be that behind and my school bag had been sitting on the chair by my desk since I arrived home.

I lifted my eyebrow and looked up. "Is there something special you think I may need?"

"I—no." He shook his head. "I'll just see you at breakfast."

"Okay."

He walked out, closing the door behind him as I watched, even after he was gone. Dual personality much? I snorted and looked down to Onyx.

"You're a good friend." I put my arms around her belly, resting my cheek against the fur of her back.

Onyx didn't bark or even yip. Her tongue lolled to the side as though she was smiling and she let me lay there until we both fell asleep.