Chapter Fourteen

The clearing was as refreshing as my recent memory recovery promised. We stumbled through the overgrown path and bypassed the clearing completely, not stopping until we reached the edge of the cliff. With my eyes closed and my face tilted up to the sky, I dangled my feet over while I leaned back, supporting my weight with my elbows. Calin sat on my left and said nothing at all.

"After being holed-up in the Manor for so long, I didn't think silence would feel this good again," I told him finally, smiling without opening my eyes. I didn't know what else to say, but he was keeping his promise to let me relax. If I wanted conversation, I would have to initiate it.

"Maybe because the birds are talking too much for it to be complete silence," he said. "I bet that's why you're able to enjoy it."

Maybe it's just the company, I thought, though I would never say it. Getting my memory back after what was lost in the relapse reminded me that jar had been dealt with, its lid closed until I remembered everything... or enough time passed to prove that waiting was futile.

"I like the chirping. It's calm."

"Do you know what else is calm?" he asked, and I opened one eye in time to see him glance at his watch. He looked back up and smiled. "A therapy session."

"Oh, no!" I closed my eyes again. "This is too good to leave. Just, I don't know... Call in sick for me or something. Tell her I'm enjoying not thinking too much to allow her to delve deep. If she argues, tell her I remembered stuff."

"What about Devland?"

"What about him?"

"Well, what do you want to say when he questions why you didn't go to your appointment with Dr. Stanzo?" he asked and then lowered his voice to add, "Especially since afternoon classes were canceled."

Groaning, I opened my eyes and glared at Calin as he watched me, full of satisfaction. "I hate you."

He winked.

"Don't bother coming to get me tomorrow. I'll be driving myself," I said, trying to pout but failing. I held up my hand once he stood and he helped me to my feet.

He didn't let go, and he wasn't smiling. With a critical eye for reaction, he asked, "You remember your car?"

I pulled my hand free and crossed my arms. "I'm pretty sure I would tell you if I had remembered something from before the accident, Calin."

"Then how?"

"Maible slipped up." I shrugged. Seeing the angry set of his jaw, I hurried to add, "It wasn't on purpose, so don't get mad at her! Besides," I said, "all I had to do is look in the garage, right? She didn't do any harm."

"She should've known better."

"Oh, you mean like telling me I lost my memory in a boating accident? Because that was you and Dr. Stanzo."

His gaze flitted up towards the sky and he sighed, though a soft smile brought out both dimples. "Point taken."

"Good," I said. I crossed the space between us and hooked my arm through his elbow, resting my free hand on his forearm. Smiling, I glanced up and said, "Let's go get our heads shrunk."

"Your head."

"Meh. I go, you go."

He shook his head and looked to the ground, a sliver of silver-blue peaking up at me from under lowered lashes. I looked forward, through the clearing to the path, not wanting to get stuck in one of our breath-stealing pauses. He chuckled as though knowing my thoughts, but he didn't understand. Maybe, once my memory returned, I would welcome the break from reality. Not now. He had no idea how hard it was to know how you feel but not understand who you are.