Chapter Thirty Seven

I hopped out of the car as soon as it slowed in front of the manor but before Calin put it in park. The faster I disappeared, the more likely Calin would allow me the luxury of being alone. He was too fast, though, and jumped out after me, appearing at my side just before I reached out to open the door.

"Go away."

"No," Calin said.

The door opened and he followed me inside, letting it slam behind us. If anyone heard, they didn't care to check. The one time I didn't want the Manor to be empty, I was alone. Or, not by myself but not as solitary as I'd prefer.

"We need to talk."

"We already did, Calin," I said, not even bother to look over my shoulder as I started towards my room. "I told you to give me time to think."

He followed me up the stairs to my bedroom door through the sitting room like I hadn't said anything at all. I stopped and rested my hand on the door handle, and then turned to face him. He didn't blink, unreactive under my scrutiny.

"This isn't you giving me time."

"Then you should've asked for space instead of time," he said in a low voice, clasping his hands behind his back as he leaned forward.

"Then give me space."

Calin winked and then straightened. "Nope. I'm afraid you get either time or space, and you already chose time. Can't have it both ways."

"You are impossible!"

"I know." He shrugged and unclasped his hands to dig in his front pockets, and took a breath. "Do you want to go to the dance with me?"

I blinked. "Excuse me?"

"You do remember what it is, right? A dance?"

"Yeah, but—"

"Then come to the dance with me, Nora," he said. "It's themed, so you can even wear a mask, and nobody will know who you are. That means you can have fun and not worry about being stared at."

How had he gone from revelations in large, disbelieving proportions, to asking me out? If it was a date. The vague memory that had exploded in my head suggested it was more of a let's-go-as-friends suggestion. But more than the turn of topics, how did he know the vital reason I wouldn't want to go?

"I have more important things to think about," I said and shook my head. "You gave me a lot to digest."

"I know." He nodded.

I licked my lips and looked up at him from beneath a hooded gaze. "It'll take some time to process."

He tilted his head and nodded again. "I know."

"But you still want me to go?"

"Yes." Calin took a deep breath. "I think it'll be a good distraction for you, maybe even clear your head of the worrying enough to help."

"Water never boils when you watch it?"

"What?"

I sighed, not understanding how I could remember such a saying but not my own childhood. "I won't get my memory if I push it, but if I stop trying so hard, it might come more naturally."

"Maybe."

I turned the knob and said, "I'll think about it."

The door opened and before Calin could agree—or push for a clear decision—a low growl sounded. A second later Onyx pounced through. Teeth bared, she focused all of her efforts on me, jumping up on her hind legs to knock me down with her front paws on my shoulders. I landed hard on my back, my breath knocked out of my lungs.