Chapter 8

Chapter 8

The next morning I woke up earlier than usual. I was getting used to the time zone in London.

"Hey, Zayn." I said as I grabbed some pancake batter from the cabinet.

"Morning." He murmured back, his eyes never leaving the computer screen. Liam suddenly appeared in the room.

"Hello, Lexi." Liam greeted me.

"Hi." I stirred the batter and poured it onto the plate.

"I think that's Harry's job, you know." He mentioned jokingly.

"Whatever. I like cooking."

"The lads and I were thinking about going to a water park today. Would you like to come?"

"Oh, no. I'm going to stay home and be bored." I replied sarcastically.

"Oh really? I thought you would want to come." Liam said, not getting my sarcasm.

"Of course I'm coming, idiot!" I laughed, playfully smacking him on the bum.

"Hey!"

"Oh my gosh! I can't come. I still have the marker all over my face."

"I didn't think of that. I'll talk the lads about it." He walked away. Lou is so gonna get it. I can't even walk outside, my face is so embarrassing.

I smelled something burning and turned to my pancakes. They were all black and crisp. The smoke alarm went off, causing someone to scream. I quickly dumped the blackened pancakes into the trash and turned off the alarm. Louis ran passed me screaming,"FIRE! FIRE!" I pulled out my phone and filmed him. I really needed to get a Twitter.

Niall and Harry came into the kitchen, panicking. They were still in their pajamas. Meaning only boxers. I snapped a picture.

"You really love to take pictures." Harry states the obvious.

"Yes. Yes I do." I made another batch of pancakes and apologized for waking Niall and Harry up.

My cell rang.

'Everybody has got a dark side,

Will you love me,

Can you love mine,

Nobody is picture perfect-'

I answered it before my ringtone could continue.

"Hello?"

"Lexi? Honey, are you okay? You didn't call and I was worried..." My mom sounded so relieved.

"Yeah, mom, I'm fine. Sorry, I forgot to call. I've been so busy."

"Good! Your father is making you useful."

"Well actually......"

"Lexi, I only have a minute left. I'm at the doctor's..."

"Okay, just I need to tell you something."

"What do you want to tell me?"

"You're not gonna believe me, but dad is the manager of One Direction and he lives with them and that means I'M living with them and that's why I'm so busy because they're a handful."

"Hey, I heard that!" Liam shouted.

Silence from my mom.

"Mom?" I questioned.

"Look, hun, I have to go. Call me and tell me when you get a job." She quickly said and hung up. A job? I totally forgot about that!

"Why do you need a job?" Harry asked, sticking his head in the room.

Oops. Did I say that aloud?

"Uhh, to get money, dumbo!" I said, ruffling his curls.

"DON'T TOUCH THE CURLS!"

"Well, do you have any newspapers? Cause I need to see of there are any job openings..."

"You don't need a job. We have enough money. Too much actually."

"Well I'm going to lay for my own stuff so I obviously need a job!"

"No you don't. We're paying from now on."

"No I am!"

"LIAM! GET RID OF ALL THE NEWSPAPERS IN THIS HOUSE THAT HAS A SEXY GUY WITH CURLS!" He screamed.

I slid my phone into my pocket and went into the kitchen to wash the dishes. I started loading the dishwasher.

"What makes you think you have to do the work here?" I turned to face Niall, who also still had marker on his face.

"I don't know. Shouldn't you guys be doing something productive like recording or something?" I responded.

"We have this week off." I resumed back to loading the dishes. "Here, let me help." He took some plates and stared at the dishwasher. Niall obviously didn't know what he was doing.

"Never done the dishes before, huh?" I joked. He blushed and shook his head. "You would think you'd have a cleaning person or something."

"Hey! We can do things ourselves!" He responded, offended.

"Geez! This is what you do." I showed him and we finished the dishes in no time. My dad appeared behind us.

"Hey, Lex, can I talk to you for a minute?" I nodded and followed him down the hall. "I heard about your mother."

I waited to see what else he had to say.

"So how is she doing with her cancer?"

I froze. Why would he want to know about my mom after all these years? After all, he was the one who left her.

"Lexi?"

"Uh, yeah, she's fine. Why?"

"Just asking..." He avoided my gaze.

"You still care about her, don't you?" My dad stayed silent for a minute. "Why did you leave us?" That was the question I've been wanting to ask him for a long time.

"Lexi, I have to go." He left me stanging there.