¦25¦

"Though I'm weak and beaten down, I'll slip away into this sound. The ghost of you is close to me. I'm inside out, you're underneath"

The last few days had been stressful for Lola. It had gotten to the point where she could never seem to sleep well; she would always be up late drawing or awake early pacing. So when Pop called asking if she'd take am early shift before school, Lola jumped at the opportunity; it'd be a great way to distract herself.

It had been mostly quiet due to how early it was but Lola didn't mind. She speant the time cleaning up the diner in between taking orders. It was now cleaner than she had ever seen it.

Most of the people who came in didn't bother her too much - sometimes people would give her grief for being a Serpent - but today it was mostly the likes of Fred Andrews who needed breakfast before going to work early.

It was almost time for Lola to leave for school when the bell chimed once more. She plastered a smile on her face and looked up, prepared to serve the last customer. However, the smile instantly dropped as she saw the deep brown eyes of a certain Serpent Boy.

Lola didn't know how to react. All she had wanted was a peaceful shift at Pop's but now Sweet Pea was here to change that.

If this had been a week before, Sweet Pea would have left upon seeing her and Lola would have scoffed at his retreating figure. Now, he just approached her and, after seeing the video sent to her by Fangs, Lola wasn't sure what to do.

Sweet Pea came right up to the counter, leaning his arms on it and looking up at Lola through loose strands of hair. "Hey" he said, his eyes never leaving hers. Lola was slightly stunned at this forwardness considering how cold he had been all week.

"I'm sorry" he blurted before Lola could greet him back. This truly was opposite day. Sweet Pea was apologising. Granted, he was the one in the wrong but Sweet Pea never apologised for anything. Lola was becoming more and more shocked by the minute, remaining in complete silence.

"I shouldn't have jumped to conclusions. I should have trusted you more. I should have known you'd never do that" Sweet Pea rambled, standing up straight now and beginning to pace slightly. "God I'm such an idiot" he mumbled to himself, running a hand through his messy hair.

"This was a mistake. I shouldn't have come, you probably hate me" he said again while turning around. As he began to walk towards the door, Lola made a split decision in her head. She couldn't let him leave.

"Wait" she called out before his hand reached the handle of the door. Slowly, Sweet Pea turned around to face her. When Lola didn't instantly continue, he began walking slowly back towards her.

"I forgive you" she breathed out, staring at her intertwined fingers while she talked. Sweet Pea's face instantly lit up after hearing these words.

"Really? Thank you so much. I lo-" he began but Lola cut him off before he could finish. "Sweet Pea" she said softly, looking up at him. He seemed to grimace slightly and deflate as his name left Lola's lips rather than her usual nickname for him.

"Don't" Lola simply stated, feeling guilty for cutting him off but knowing she wasn't ready to hear what he was about to say. Sweet Pea looked at her in confusion, not sure what she meant.

"Look, I forgive you, I do. But I can't do this. Not again" she said, her voice cracking on the words. "Lo, please" Sweet Pea pleaded, reaching a hand out towards her.

Lola stepped back away from his grasp and shook her head. "I can't. We cam be friends but nothing more, okay?" she said, trying to hold back the tears. Lola knew this was what was best for the both of them; they needed a break; but that didn't make it any easier on her.

Sweet Pea looked like he was about to say something more but stopped himself. He gulped as he gave Lola one last look while nodding. Turning on his heel, he dragged his feet out the door without looking back.

As soon as Lola heard the bekk chime one last time, she let the tears flow. She had done the right thing but she could only hope Sweet Pea would agree. She may have lost him as a boyfriend but she didn't want to loose him as a friend too.

¦--~--¦

The school day had gone rather slowly for Lola. She had seen Sweet Pea in the halls a few times and the would smile weakly at each other, but no words were exchanged.

Now, classes were over and Lola had received a text from Reggie telling her to meet him in the gym. He had apparently just tried out for basketball and wanted to hang out.

As she pushed open the gym doors, Lola smiled at the boy standing in the middle of the floor alone. They had become great friends and all of their encounters from the past had been forgotten.

"Hey" Lola chipped while giving him a small hug. Seeing her friends, whether it was Toni, Jughead, Reggie or even Veronica and Betty, always put Lola in a better mood, making her forget all of her worries.

As Reggie was about to answer, two people walked in laughing with each other. Lola looked over to the door to see none other than Sweet Pea and Fangs, who also apparently had tried out for basketball based on what they were wearing.

There was a moment of awkward silence as the four stared at one another. Lola remembered what she had said that morning about being friends and an idea popped into her head.

"Hey. Do you guys wanna hang out with us?" she shouted across. Fangs' face instantly lit up, clearly missing Lola's company. He looked to his best friend for approval, as did Lola. After Sweet Pea nodded slightly, the pair walked over to Lola and Reggie.

It was definitely awkward at first but the four were able to ignore this and have a good time none the less, putting all previous tension behind them.