16 - THE POLE BENDS

HEIDI slapped her face for the second time. She once again glanced at herself in the mirror. She closed her eyes when she saw her giddy reflection.

'This is not you, Heidi."

That was her mantra this morning. She has been acting like a scatterbrained teenager because of that woman named Kayla King.

That woman has been making her days exciting. Eversince they got engage Kayla has been taking her to dinner, sent flowers at school or bringing her lunch in the graduate school.

Her mom is liking Kayla, too. Her knowledge of Kayla saving Diego give her fiancée another extra nudge to her mother's good side.

She took another deep breath and pinched her cheeks. She pouted when she saw felt herself grinning again. She knew that happiness is clearly shown in her eyes.

The best thing about the presence of Kayla in their life is the absence of Victor.

"Giddy, are we?" Joel tease when he found her staring at the flowers sent by no other than Kayla King.

If she have not mentioned yet, Joel is gay. He is an out and proud gay.

"I wish I have a partner like Miss Kayla. She's not afraid of showing her affection."

"I agree with you. However, there's this thing that made Miss Kayla a mystery." Sarah butted in.

"Maybe because she mostly just watched people around her."

"Yes. Her being silent most of the time deepened the mystery." Anna also added. "Did you, guys, talk when you're together?"

"Of course but she often play with Diego when she's at my house."

"Did you kiss already?"

Warmth spread quickly in her cheeks when Anna asked that. The three of them squealed when they saw how her face reddened.

"How was it?" Sarah asked with too much enthusiasm.

A gentle cough saved her from that question. But like a deer caught by a headlight, their eyes widen when the topic of their conversation materialized not far from they are.

"Hello, ladies."

"How long have you been there?" She asked when she recovered from another surprise visit of her fiancée.

"Long enough to answer Sarah's question."

Her cheeks suddenly felt warmer than before with her statement. The other three squealed again. Kayla chuckled because of that.

Her fiancée already met the trio due to her frequent visit in the school.

"Did you, guys, want to have an early dinner?" The older woman asked as she stood beside her.

"I would say no this time. I have a date."

"Same here. Joel, too."

Kayla laughed at the obvious excuses of her colleagues. They were used to the rich woman's invites and generosity.

"If that's the case, I'm going to get my fiancée. Little Diego is already waiting at home."

"Alright, Miss King."

"Goodbye, ladies."

"Use protection." Joel yelled when they are almost at the door.

Kayla chuckled once again before they left the office. The taller woman's hand was at the small of her back as they stroll towards the car.

She must admit, Kayla is a gentlewoman. She always thought of her welfare whenever they were together. If they were not, she would definitely received a reminder either from her or Faye.

There is this one time, it was raining and almost nightfall. Kayla was suppose to fetch her from her graduate school. However, her meeting took longer than she thought. She was surprised to find Bernadette outside the school.

She only had one relationship in the past. It was obviously incomparable to what she have at the moment.

Kayla also stay true to her words. She was also after the welfare of her son. She was involved in Diego's progress no matter how small. She was more thrilled than her, the very own mother, when they got home seeing Diego's arm stamped with several stars.

She was pleased that she treated Diego as her own. What she dislike was how she spoil the boy.

The first time they were introduced, Kayla brought her son a train set. She very well knew how pricey the toy is. She refused to accept the gift but she was given an emotional blackmail by using her son's tear-stained face. They had a compromise. That would the last expensive toy her son would get from her.

She went home one day, she found the duo playing. She shed tears of happiness when she heard her son squealed in joy followed by his belly laugh.

What more could she asked for?