15 - BITS & PIECES OF KAYLA KING

"I HEARD about you and Kayla."

Heidi looked up. She was in the wash room and about to retouch her lipstick.

"Good morning, Miss Barrios."

The head teacher nodded and stood beside her. The older woman washed her hand.

"Nice ring."

"T-thank you."

The engagement was given to her by Kayla the night after the commotion with Victor.

Flashback

"Hey."

"Hello." She uttered, frowning.

Kayla is currently at her front door. Her frown deepened when she noticed that Kayla is a little too happy.

"I shouldn't be here but I want you to have this."

Her eyes turned to Kayla's hand. It was a foot away from her face. In between her index finger and thumb is a beautiful ring.

"Kayla-----"

"You said yes Heidi."

"Yes but-----"

She gasped when the woman kneeled. The ring is still in her hand.

"Miss Capinpin, will you do me a favor by becoming my wife?"

She was just staring at her in shock. Anticipation was in Kayla's face.

"Heidi, my knees are a little numb."

The taller woman is still grinning while looking at her stunned face. She bit her lower lip.

Is it wrong to feel giddy?

"Heidi, sweetheart?"Her hands seems to have a mind of its own. She reached her left hand.

Kayla grinned wider. She put the gorgeous ring in her ring finger.

"Ouch! My knees are shaking."

End of flashback

"She's thoughtful, isn't she?"

"Huh?"

"Kayla is very charming if she wished to be."

She smiled. She knew that part of her fiancée's personally.

Whew, fiancée. Well, the ring says it all.

"Please take care of my friend, Heidi. She had been hurt before. I don't want to see her wounded by another educator."

"W-what?"

Miss Barrios gave her a poignant smile. She appeared to remember a distressing memory.

"Are you friends with Kayla before?" The head teacher nodded. "You knew her issues with Mrs. Gutierrez?"

"Yes. I was there but she chose to protect me and hurt herself." The head teacher took a deep sigh. "That woman has hero complex."

"She does." They eyes met in the mirror and smile in agreement. "Thank you for supporting us, Miss Barrios."

"I'll do anything for Kayla."

"C-can I also ask for a favor?" The other woman raised her brow. "Can we keep our engagement between us?"

She earned a chuckled from that. "With that magnificent ring, you will have a hard time keeping the news to yourself."

She blushed and stared at the ring in her finger.

Miss Barrios is right. The ring is clamoring for attention.

She was about to pull the ring from her finger when she heard a tssk sound. She peeked at her.

"I wouldn't do that if I were you."

She watched as Miss Barrios finished applying lipstick to her thin lips.

"That ring is Kayla King's way of telling everyone that you're off limits. Be informed also that Kayla King is very territorial. What's hers is hers alone."

She stood almost gawking at the head teacher with that knowledge though the information only confirmed what she thought of Kayla.

"See you around, Heidi."