7 - BLAST FROM THE PAST

"THIS is the life."

Bernadette sigh in contentment as she sips her coffee. They were at the starbucks coffee shop. As usual, her friend went to her office and disturbed her work.

She decided to leave the office than wait for her friend to bother her other staff.

Truth is, Bernadette has her own bar. She had the business for four years. Her friend wanted her to be the partner but she refuse. She give her a loan instead so that she could start on her own.

Fortunately, the bar thrived and a year ago, her friend return the money in full.

Money was not this easy for her. Her mother was not rich either.

Her mother provide for her needs single-handedly. She grew up without a father figure but she never even thought that something is missing. Her mother never failed to make her feel that she is incomplete.

She knew who her father is no matter what other people said. The issue that Mrs. Gutierrez raised about her mother, it did not upset her a bit. She knew the truth. What bothers her is the betrayal of a friend.

Before high school graduation, after the issue with her friends and Mrs. Gutierrez, her father found her.

Her father is a Mulatto. That's where she got her green eyes and hair color. Good thing her mom is fair in complexion. Her skin color was a bit fairer than her father.

It was a hard decision. She left her mom to be with her father. She used her father's name, King. She studied abroad and make a life for herself there.

"At your three o'clock."

She turned to the place her friend is pointing. It was Sheila's mother. A younger version approached her.

They looked at each other. They were thinking the same thing.

"They are coming this way."

"I know."

She stood up as the topic of their conversation advanced toward them.

"Bernadette. Hey, Kayla."

Her friend wave her hand. "Hello, Sheila. Hi, there Mrs. Alvarez."

"I didn't know that you were back, Kayla." Sheila stated.

She ignored her and faced her friend. "I have a meeting in 30 minutes. Are you coming?"

"I am."

Bernadette also stood up. She salute at the mother and daughter. "I'm ready."

They walked together as they left the coffee shop.

"The nerve of these people. Oh my G!" Bernadette whispered beside her.

"Be careful. Stress is not good for the baby."

"Damn you."

"I need another coffee, B. We wasted good coffee."

"Tell Faye to make you one." She said with a hmmp in the end. "You should have not made an exit there."

"I can't patronize these people."

"Maybe she also need five million." Bernadette suddenly mention.

"Maybe. Life seems not easy on her."

"Yes. She stopped studying in sophomore year. She met a guy and eloped with him."

"Mrs. Alvarez must have held a party for that, huh." She butted with sarcasm.

"She went back after a couple of years. She met another guy and they got married. She got two kids from that marriage but got separated about three years ago." Her friend continue.

"Why are you telling me this?"

"I want to rub on you the misfortune of the people who underestimated you."

"Very funny."

"By the way, Aunt Cherry called me to inform you that we have dinner with her tomorrow."

"Why did my mother called you instead of me?"

"Because I answer calls."

"I was busy, okay."

"Exactly. Also, the contractor for branch 5 and 6 is asking for an audience."

"Are you my secretary now?"

"No. I'm desperate for that five million. The kids need them especially this baby on the way."

"I will give you the money. You sounds pathetic."

She grab her wrist and pulled her towards the building where her office is.

"Find a guy so those kids will become a reality."

"Hey, hey. I'm pregnant, remember." Bernadette counter as she also pulled her hand from her.

"Pregnant, my ass."