chapter twenty-eight

Melanie felt truly afraid for the second time in her life. Once, when Isabel was missing, and now, when she stared at the scar on her hand. It was long and deep and grotesque, branching from her thumb to her wrist. The scar hadn't gone away, and she was sure it wouldn't. It stared at her, as if laughing at her for being so naïve.

Get Wylde back, it'll all be okay.

Well now he wasn't talking to her, and everyone had some sort of tension to them, as if asking why they hell she would throw all of humanity away for one boy.

She didn't even know why, now staring at him across the room, drinking in vodka and staring at nothing in particular. She knew he wasn't into the magazine on the table, so he was definitely not checking that out. He was lost in thought and in anger at her for throwing away her safety for him.

The rest of the gang had sort of separated throughout the globe. Well, not literally, but there was only a few inside the lobby. John was sitting next to Wylde, talking to him occasionally and giving Melanie sympathetic looks-it seemed he only understood. Dean was thumbing through a magazine, and would casually look at Wylde, almost checking on him as if he were to disappear at any moment. Raine was taking care of her guests who would walk by and give the odd bunch a peculiar look, but shuffle off without question. Kyle was next to her, talking about something that she wasn't listening to. The pack of werewolves had taken off, going to talk with some people on the "other side" to get some connections on getting inside the barricade the "rebels", which is what Raine likes to call them, had set up to keep the inside in, and the outside out.

Other than that, everyone was gone.

Melanie fingered a small thread that stuck out from her jeans. There was a large hole near the pocket and she figured she would sew it back together later on, but not now.

"Melanie?" Melanie's head snapped up at the sound of her name. "Are you listening?" Kyle asked. Melanie turned her head and looked at him and gave him a sympathetic smile.

"No I wasn't, I'm sorry." She said, sitting back and sighing. "My minds totally out of it right now, I can't focus on anything."

Kyle looked at her with sadness and nudged her shoulder with his hand, giving her a crooked smiled. "You should go take a nap or something, get some shuteye. Who knows if you'll be able to get any sleep during the war."

Melanie's heart dropped.

Kyle seemed to noticed and his facial expression suddenly changed, like a light switch. "Well, I mean you probably will, but--"

Melanie interrupted him: "No, it's alright. Sleep sounds perfect right now." Melanie stood and brushed off her pants and turned, but before she could walk away, Wylde stood as well.

"I'll join you." He said. Melanie turned her head slightly, just enough to look at him. He was watching her, a hint of a smile on his lips. She nodded slightly, then began to walk towards her room.

Wylde never caught up to her, but she could feel him behind her. His footsteps weren't audible, but she felt like she could somehow hear them. She was aware of him following close behind, but she never turned her head to see if he was still actually there. Once she reached her room, she pulled out her card from her back pocket and tried to swipe it, but once Wylde leaned against the wall next to her, one arm up and head resting on his forearm, watching her, her breathing became hard and the butterflies fluttered in her chest. She tried her damn hardest to steady her hand to swipe it through the reader, but she shook too much to where she missed nearly each time.

"Here." He said gently as he grabbed the card from her fingers. She watched him as he gracefully slid the card through the slot and the indicator light flashed green and a noise sounded from inside the door. She silently thanked him and turned the handle, pushing inside the dark room. Once the door closed behind her, she heard Wylde begin to undress behind her. She stole a glance to see that he was stripping his shirt off and then he went to work on his belt, loosening the buckle and unbuttoning his pants, getting into just his boxers.