*chapter thirteen

"Who are you?" Melanie asked, her voice sharp as she stood at the entrance of the hallway with her hands bracing herself against the wall. She had just woken up and pried herself from the couch on which she slept. She woke up feeling as if she were reborn, and was instantly relieved of her pain. It was almost too good to be true, but it was more real than ever.

Now, she watched as a dark skinned lady painted a dark, thick liquid onto the opened door of the house. Wylde and Dean stood by, watching her with careful eyes and crossed arms, as if judging her work.

When Melanie spoke, all their heads snapped toward her and watched her as if she were some wild animal that had gotten loose from her habitat.

"This is Raine, a witch." Dean explained as Melanie took cautious steps forward, running her hand against the wall just in case she were to collapse. Her walking was a little wobbly, but that didn't take away the fact that her legs felt like they could run forty miles. "She's here to put protection spells on the house."

"What happened to me last night, why did I wake up on the borderline of death?" Melanie asked, looking at Wylde and Dean with pursed lips.

"Because, a guy named Elias, who is Elizar's son, got into your bedroom and drained you of over half of your blood last night and we need to make sure that that doesn't happen again." Wylde explained, looking back at Raine. He looked almost angry, as if the very thought lit a fire inside him.

"How do you know he did it?" Melanie asked, her voice shaking slightly. She latched a hand around her throat and brushed her fingers across her skin, but it wasn't blemished in any way. Thinking about someone draining her of her life source made her feel uneasy.

Wylde looked over at her with a narrowed gaze and watched her, his eyes focusing on hers. She couldn't tear her gaze off him, and she felt as though she were trapped inside his stare. Finally, he answered. "Because I smelt him on you."

Melanie's eyes widened in horror and watched as his expression turned from that serious, angry look that plagued his expression ninety percent of the day, to a relaxed and almost sympathetic expression. She felt her body fill with white hot fear and her chest began rising and falling quickly with her breath that hissed in and out of her lungs like the wind through trees, scratching its way through her shaking body. She felt as if she were hyperventilating, her whole world spinning around her at the speed of light.

Someone was in her room last night.

Someone had drained the life out of her.

That's the only explanation to all this and knowing that Wylde knew for a fact that it was some evil demon's son, made it that much worse.

While she slept peacefully, a guy was standing in her room, next to her bed, doing God knows what to her unconscious body.

Melanie fell against the wall and tilted her head back, taking deep breaths.

In through her nose, out through her mouth.

Focus on your consciousness. She told herself as she fought to stay upright.

She laced her fingers through and around the chain of her necklace, bundling the whole thing into the palm of her hand. As if the key held some magical power, she started almost feeling calm. Her heart slowed down from its rapid pace inside her chest and her breath was almost normal again.

Melanie felt someone lightly grab onto her shoulder and she opened her eyes to see Wylde standing in front of her, his eyes observing her. His jaw was clenched tightly and his lips were pursed together. His whole expression was worry.