chapter twenty-seven

Dean sat on a white chair the balcony of his motel room with a cup of vodka in his hand and a plate of untouched food at his side. The sun was out, which was a sudden change for the weather. Dean could already see the snow beginning to melt before his eyes. People below him walked and talked, stopped to mingle with their long lost friends and conversed about the weather.

That seemed to be the only thing that was on people's minds anymore; the weather. The sudden unplanned snow storm that took the West Coast by astonishment. There were accidents everywhere, people were packing up their things a moving to their relatives to try and escape this mess-if they could catch a flight that hadn't been delayed already.

He leaned backwards in the chair and sucked in a sharp breath through his teeth as his side erupted in griping pain from the sudden movement. He took another much needed sip of vodka then lifted his shirt to see that the demon bite on his ribcage hasn't gotten any better, even with the healing lotion that the witch had supplied him with.

"Dean?" To the sound of a female voice, Dean dropped his shirt and sat up, a spark of hope igniting inside his chest. When he saw that the voice didn't belong to Melanie, he felt a little sliver of sadness wedge inside his brain-but it was soon forgotten. There stood a beautiful red head, her eyes the color of crystals and skin the color of the snow around her.

"Jody," Dean stood, despite the pain that tore and rippled along his side and laced around his ribcage. The hand that was holding his vodka was suddenly unsteady. "what are you doing here?"

"Rumors brought me here." She said, her voice innocent. Her eyes darted around her, as if she were scoping out the area. "I heard you were with Raine, so I thought I'd stop by and say hi, and that I miss you." Dean couldn't help but smile, but then he remembered that he didn't-couldn't-love her anymore.

Not after what she did.

"Oh." He said, his smile faltering. She saw the break and her eyes averted, staring at the swinging plant beside her head as she chewed on the inside of her lip. "Who's been spreading rumors?" Dean asked, wondering how anyone could possibly know what has happened between the two sides in this war.

"Everyone." She answered, looking back at him. "Everyone knows that a war is about to break. People are freaking out, praying to the Gods, asking to give Melanie guidance and whatnot. I feel bad for her, she lost her dad...And is fighting for Julian. Does she know that people are totally wanting them together? I feel like they're going to start combining their names, making up false stories--"

"How does everyone know everything about the situation already?" Dean asked, a little hint of anger in his voice. Gossip in the Underworld spreads like wildfire, he would know that because he lived their as a kid, and hated it, because he was treated like he was nothing more than a slave.

"I don't know how, but I know why." She said. "This is their-our-future too, Dean. How this war ends, affects us as well. If Elias and Elizar win, we're fucked. The human world is fucked. Every world in this whole entire universe is fucked. If Melanie wins, then everyone else does too. People are trying to escape the Underworld so they can come fight along side, but they're not letting them out-"

"What?" Dean asked, his eyes widening. "People are trying to come...fight?" Jody nodded slowly, as if it was the most known fact in the world.

"They're not...In peace?"

"They're the exact opposite. I had to sneak out with a group just to escape. Their walls are up high."

Without thinking, Dean quickly dropped his drink on the stand and hurried past Jody and outside of his room. He heard her calling his name behind him, but he ignored her completely, only having one task on his mind at the moment.