chapter sixteen

"You are not going with me, and that's final." Wylde said, shaking his head as he pulled his jacket on over his shoulders. "Remember what happened last time you went to some witch's shop?"

"That was an antiques store, and it wont happen again!" Melanie exclaimed, stepping between him and the door. She outstretched her arms, not allowing Wylde to pass by her human barricade. "Please, Wylde, please let me go." She begged.

"Why?" He asked, narrowing his eyes at her. "Why are you so hellbent on going?"

Melanie sighed, and then she poured out her heart to him. "Because I want to actually be a part of this, and not sitting and watching everyone but me, the girl who is the center of it all, take action. Don't you think I should have some say?" She asked in a small voice.

Wylde watched her with set eyes, and Melanie could feel the weight of them on her, but it wasn't enough to shake her, if she wasn't going, he wasn't going to go at all. Finally, once Wylde realized his stare wasn't enough to break her, he sighed."But Melanie, that's the thing." Wylde said, zipping up his leather jacket. "You're the center of it all, we can't have one slip up, 'cause that could result in us losing you."

"I don't care Wylde," She stopped and rolled her eyes. "Okay, I do care, but I mean...Can I please just go, I want to do something rather than sitting around and wondering what's going to happen next."

"Melanie, you're making this into a big deal, all I'm doing is seeing what the hell this witch did wrong."

Melanie sighed and closed her eyes as she spoke. "Please, Wylde." She said, then she reopened her eyes. Wylde sighed and raked his fingers through his dark hair, turning her words over in his head. He seemed to be torn on both ends, and Melanie wanted to push him, but she thought if she did, he would say flat out no, so she held back.

Finally, after what seemed like ages, he spoke: "Fine, but you are to stay at my side at all times." Wylde instructed, his eyes serious.

Melanie nodded curtly. "Rodger that." Wylde couldn't help but smile at that, but then he looked down the length of Melanie, his eyes taking in every part of her.

"First, you're gonna have to change into a bra and out of my shirt." He said. "I don't want the witch to know something's up between us, because if she is faking all this, and is secretly on a dark side, she could use that as an advantage."

The drive to the psychic store was short, mostly because Wylde broke nearly six laws along the way: no seat belt, speeding, running through a stop sign, running through a red light, illegally passing cars and Melanie would like to believe that white lining cars was illegal as well.

Finally, Wylde came to a halt in front of the store and turned off the engine, pocketing his keys.

"Well," Melanie said, looking over at him. "At least we made it one piece..."

Wylde chuckled as he opened his door and excited out of the car, and Melanie was quick to follow behind, meeting him on the sidewalk. They stood there for a moment as people passed them by like a stream of water. "Remember, by my side." He reminded in a low voice. Once she nodded, he began to walk in the store with her close on his heels. He pushed through the door and a small bell chimed above their heads, gaining the attention of the dark skinned boy who sat at the counter thumbing through a magazine. He looked up at the newcomers lazily, but his eyes widened at the sight of them and Melanie had a feeling he knew what they were.

"What are you nightwalkers doing here?" He hissed as he stood. Melanie stopped, despite Wylde who continued to walk toward the counter. He leaned against it leisurely and smiled at him, making the corners of his mouth fan.