chapter twenty

Melanie awoke with a start.

Her heart was beating loudly inside her chest, slamming against her ribs and threatening to break through its cage. Something wasn't right, she realized. Something was...off.

Especially because she had awoken from a deep sleep for no apparent reason.

Slowly, she pried the comforter back from her sweaty body and swung her legs over the edge of the bed, feeling her feet press to the hard wood floor. The contact sent a shock through her since the floor was so cold compared to her clammy skin that was covered with a film of sweat.

Melanie stood on her feet and looked around her dark room with cautious eyes. It took a awhile for her eyes to adjust to the darkness that filled the room and tried to make use of a sliver of light that past through the long curtains. Slowly, she turned on her heel and made her way to the window and threw open the red curtains, looking out into the gloaming night that was covered with snow.

"Finally, you're awake." A voice said from the shadows of her bedroom. Melanie froze. The voice was recognizable, but she had only heard it once in her lifetime.

And that was in a dream.

Before Melanie could turn around and run, or even throw open the window and leap out, she felt a hand reach around her neck, tracing their finger tips across her skin that wrapped up her chin and her lower cheek.

"I've been waiting for you to awake, although, you look cute and innocent when you sleep." Elias said, his voice trailing up her flesh like the ghost of a snake slithering around her throat. She was afraid he might sink his ghostly teeth into her jugular. Melanie gulped without realizing it, but stared straight ahead, her eyes unwavering from the sun that was just a sliver in the horizon.

Suddenly, Elias grabbed her by her shoulders and spun her around, taking her by surprise as he forcefully pushed her against the window and held her there with a vigor grip. Melanie felt her breath catch in the back of her throat as she stared up at him tremulously, standing inert in his grip.

"What do you want?" Melanie finally found the voice to speak and she spat it out at him, locking her eyes on his that stared maliciously at her.

"What do you mean?" He purred, letting out a low laugh. Melanie felt her skin rise in goosebumps at the sound. "Do I have to want something?"

"So you mean to say," Melanie tried to fight through her fear that was plaguing her body like a virus. It was hard for her to play fearless, but she tried her damn best and managed to sound somewhat ominous and a little placid, as if he didn't upset her "That you came her out of your own time to have a nice chat?"

He chuckled and smiled, flashing his pearly whites and rolling his eyes. Finally, he looked back at her with dark orbs that flashed in the low lighting that shone across his face. "Maybe." He breathed, stepping a little closer to Melanie. She wanted so badly to move her head away so she wasn't just a flinch away, but she stood her ground, facing him head on despite their height difference. "Maybe I just wanted to see you?"

A chill cascaded down Melanie spine and she felt her insides boil, but she raised her chin and smiled at him. "I wish I could say the same, but truthfully, your presence is quite revolting." One of his hands shot toward his heart and his face twisted in pain, as if her words actually hurt him.

"Oh man, that one hit me hard." He said in a low voice. Slowly, his grimace turned into a smile of amusement.

"If you don't leave anytime soon, I will hit you hard and it will hurt." Melanie threatened viciously, stepping toward him threateningly. Elias stepped forward, a lopsided grin on his face as he positioned himself inside Melanie's bubble, too close for comfort. He boxed Melanie in with his arms with his palms flat against the glass behind her.