chapter fifteen

The room was quiet and motionless. There was no sound to be made, nor was there a movement to be done. Melanie laid tranquil inside Wylde's arms with her hand tracing each line and curve on his chest and his fingers lightly tracing circles on her upper arm. The movements were small, but meant a lot, meant they cared and couldn't keep themselves from exploring each and every part of each other.

Melanie didn't want to leave this spot; not his arms, not her bed, not even the room. She wanted to lay there forever, her mind empty, insides warm and heart beating slowly in her chest. She was comforted by the slight rise and fall of Wylde's chest and the sound of his breath smoothly leaving his nose, and entering through the slight gap between his parted lips.

Slowly, Melanie turned her body over, crossing her arms and placing them across his chest and rested her chin upon them. Wylde opened one of his eyes and looked at her, then a smile slowly spread across his face, causing the corners of his mouth to fan. She felt his hand brush back her hair, fastening the loose strands behind her ears.

"What is it?" He asked with a voice of silk, making all of Melanie's insides melt.

"I don't know." She said, and once it was out, she realized just how truthful it was. Shedidn't know. She knew nothing, nothing at all. Nothing about Wylde, nothing about Dean or anyone that has come into her life. "Would you say you know me more than I do myself?" Melanie asked before she had a chance to filter. Wylde's hand paused mid-stroke, his fingers slightly playing with the strands of her hair as he turned her words over in his head.

"Why do you ask that?" He questioned with knitted eyebrows. Melanie shrugged and slowly sat up, her hip being in the curve of his waist and she brought her knee to her chest, revealing the underwear that what she wore underneath Wylde's T-shirt.

"I don't know. You just said that you have watched me grow up, and were looking from the outside in, and was just wondering if you knew me more than I do."

"Well, I've grown to read you like an open book. It was a hard thing at first, you were like a maze with a lot of dead ends, and let me tell you, I kept on running into them."

"Then why'd you keep on observing me."

"You were a mystery to everyone - something never to be discovered, and I wanted to be the first one." Wylde stared at the ceiling as he talked, as if he were replaying his memories inside him mind. Melanie wished she could see, wished she could experience what he did. Maybe if she placed her head next to his and looked where he looked, she could see what he saw.

"We talked once," He said, almost dreamily. "when you were ten I believe - yes you were ten years old. You were at the amusement park and I was just standing there, watching you as you went ride after ride, spending all your money like it was nothing to you." He chuckled, his eyes still staring into empty space. "But then there came this booth that you peered into out of curiosity and you fell in love with a little white polar bear stuffed toy. It was about half your size." He laughed again and Melanie could feel a smile slowly begin to pull at the edges of her lips. "But, you didn't have enough money to win the prize. I felt like at that time you were pretty easy to read - I was starting to get the hang of it - and so I could just see and feel how sad you were. Isabel was trying to urge you on, but you wouldn't have it." Wylde looked at Melanie with a smile.

The story began to sink in, and as if Wylde knew what was happening, he stopped telling the story. Melanie started to recall that day, it had been a hot summer day when her parents decided to take Isabel and Melanie out and give them money and let them free in the amusement park.

She remembered seeing that polar bear and wanting it so badly, because she had reached forward and felt its fur, and she knew for a fact that that's how a polar bear's fur actually felt. She pulled out three quartersand felt her whole word crash around her, she was twenty-five cents short.