(4) [Part 2]

{Jace pov}

Alex stayed silent the rest of his time getting ready.

"Alex, I'm not just going to abandon you. Ever. Nothing could ever happen that I wouldn't talk to you or stop helping you. I'm always going to be here for you. Alright? I'll always be here for you, Alex."

He wouldn't look at me, but nodded. I had at least convinced him to wash his hair in the sink, now he was just spraying himself down with body spray.

"Alex, do you have a cell phone?" I asked him.

He didn't respond, and just kept getting his things together.

"Why don't you have one?"

"I don't have anyone to talk to." He muttered.

"What if your dad needs to get a hold of you?" I asked hesitantly.

"Why?" Alex now went into panic mode. He dropped his bag, and started pacing the room. "Oh god!" He shook. "Did he call the apartment last night or this morning? Did he leave a message? How many times did he call? Oh shit!" Alex collapsed to his knees.

"Alex, no. No no no!" I rushed over to him. "I didn't hear anyone call your apartment last night. Okay? And the walls are thin. I would have heard it."

"Wait, how thin are your walls?' Alex picked his head up. His voice was hoarse, and he was on the verge of crying. He was terrified.

"Pretty damn thin." I mumbled.

"Jace." Alex gulped. "You hear it happen." He more told me than asked.

"Yes." I nodded.

"Wow." He flung his head back and shut his eyes. "Fucking wow!" Alex laughed loudly, and forced it to be a happy laugh without sounding sadistic. "Holy shit! Holy fucking shit!" Flinging his head forward, Alex hit it on his kneecap that was pulled tightly to his chest.

"Al, calm down. It's okay. It's alright!" I rubbed his back. What was I suppose to do? How do I help a hurt kid? Do I hug him? That'd be creepy. Talk to him? He probably won't hear it.

"Alex, are you okay?" I asked, after letting him breathe without me bothering him.

"I'm just fucking fine, can't you tell?" He sniffled, and wiped his eyes, but wasn't actually crying.

"Yeah, I can see you're perfect right now." I said sarcastically. That probably wasn't wise, but I was basically being a dad right now. A guy in his twenties cannot be a dad to a teen!

"I think I'm gonna go." Alex started getting up. "I'll see you at school."

"Alex,  stay!" I grabbed his arm.

"Why? You aren't my dad, I don't have to listen to you!"

I loosened my grip on him, and let him go. No, I'm not his dad. There is no way in hell I'd ever be his father! His father is a fucking monster! He's sick and demented. I'm not like that.

"Jay!" There was pounding outside. Is my apartment the only one with the thin wall? Maybe it had something to do with the old renter taking advantage of Alex as well.

"Jaykob, open the fucking door!" More pounding.

I rolled my eyes, and grabbed my things. Alex left his bag behind so I grabbed that as well.

Walking outside, ready to leave, I noticed Alex slumped up against the door like yesterday.

"Do you want a ride?" I sighed. Not in annoyance, but frustration and concern.