(2)

{Alex pov}

"Alex Jersey?" 

I slipped into the classroom as my name was called for attendance.  

"Alex Jersey?" The teacher asked once more. He sounded annoyed.

"Here!" I called, opening my textbook.

"AJ?" he sounded shocked to see me.

"Yes?" I asked innocently.

"If you're 'eighteen', why are you in a sophomore class?" he smiled, glad I was caught.

I shrugged my shoulders. "I'm dumb."

"More like you're fifteen." My friend, Nat looked at me. "But you can be dumb." He added.

"Nathen Carter!" Jace shouted. "I don't tolerate that kind if behavior here."

"Sorry, Mr. Sawyer." Nat rolled his eyes. "Oh, and AJ?" My friend looked at me.

"What?" I asked nervously.

"You have a little something on your chin."

"Fuck you!" I shouted, slamming my book shut. I launched it at his head, but missed, hitting his shoulder instead.

"Alex Jersey!" Jace shouted.

"What?" I snapped. "He had no right to say that!"

"Agreed, but I'll take care of it. Now sit down, and keep your mouth shut."

I nodded, then slumped back down in my seat. I stared absentmindedly at the door the rest of the class time.

The bell rung, and kids filed out of the room. I was going to get up with them, but the teacher glared at me. "AJ, stay!"

"Be careful, Mr. S. That Jersey boy is one troubled mistake." somebody warned the teacher before leaving.

I swung my legs back under the desk, and watched Nat come up to my desk. "Um, sorry about the comment." He apologized, face pale.

"It's cool." I smiled. "I'd probably do the same thing."

"Yeah." he laughed lightly. "Um, we're cool?"

"Of course." I smiled.

"Mr. Carter, I need to have a word with AJ." Jace cleared his throat.

"So, AJ." Jace sighed.

"So, Jace." I mocked him.

"It's Mr. Sawyer here." He told me firmly.

"Whatever. Pretty soon I won't even be talking to you."

"And why is that?"

"Because you don't know me yet. Pretty soon I'll just be That Jersey Boy to you." I explained. "It'll be like almost everybody else."

"I don't understand." Ja-Mr. Sawyer said slowly.

"You're new, right?" I asked him like I was speaking to a toddler.

"Yes." He answered me, confused.

"Talk to someone. Ask about That Jersey Boy. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to get to class." I quickly got up from my desk.

"AJ?" he called after me.

"Gotta go!" I hollered back, running down the halls.

-*-

Each other class was exactly the same as it usually is. I'd sit through lectures, not paying attention, then tried to ignore all the pity looks that were tossed at me.