nine.

Laura's POV

"I'm sorry... can you repeat that again?" I sarcastically asked, shaking my head slowly at my embarrassed husband. I stood up from the couch and brushed my robe down, wrapping my arms tightly around my waist. "I won't put up with your shit again, Ross! If something is going on between you and Courtney then I really -"

"Laura!" Ross loudly interjected. He quickly stood up from his spot on the couch across from mine and closed the living room door not to disturb Isabella and Bailey from their sleep. He began to walk towards me, shrugging his shoulders. "Do you really think that I'd put my family in jeopardy like that after everything we've been through? Come on Laura, I'm not that guy anymore -"

"Oh really?" I asked, shaking my head back and forth in disapproval. I pointed my index finger to the ceiling above us and sighed. "You have two beautiful children sleeping upstairs that I gave to you! I've stayed here with you through all of the tough times, Ross. I've put myself through hell for you... do not screw everything up for some woman that has always been desperate to get inside your pants!"

"I deleted her number off my cell, Laura!" Ross hissed as I walked around in circles with my head down. I partly couldn't believe what I was hearing and a small part of me sadly could. We'd been stress free for so many years of our marriage. I was stupid to think that inevitably something wouldn't go wrong sooner or later. "I'd never hurt you like that again... especially now that we have a family!"

I snapped my head in his direction. "You had her number?"

"She put it into my cell, Laur. I couldn't stop her. Once I got home though I texted her to tell her I wasn't going to do this again and deleted her number, you have to believe me!"

I stared at him with burning eyes. I was exhausted and frankly finished with our conversation. "Do what you like." I muttered in response, opening up the living room door and stepping out into the darkness of our hallway. Ross followed sheepishly behind me and reached his arm out to my shoulder before I angrily pushed him away. "Not right now Ross. I need to think. I was not expecting to hear any of this tonight."

"Laur, please -"

I quickly cut him off as I began to ascend the staircase. "Don't Ross. I've heard enough."

Before he could say another word to me I disappeared upstairs, walking past a terrified Rocky as I approached mine and Ross' room. He was staring at me with a mug of what I assumed to be coffee in his hands. "What?" I snapped, turning on my heel to get a better look at him.

"He loves you." He murmured quietly under his breath. I glared at him in the darkness. I really wasn't in the mood to argue with Rocky, especially after I'd just finished an argument with his younger brother. I turned back to open my bedroom door when Rocky gently grabbed me by the hand. "Laura please... I know he made mistakes in the past and he wasn't good to you and Bella but he's different now. Please don't lose sight of what's important over something so minor like this."

I inhaled sharply and shrugged at him. "Have you ever been cheated on, Rocky?"

"Well no, not exactly but I -"

"Exactly." I muttered, shaking my head once again before entering my bedroom and standing angrily beside the door. "Don't tell me how I should be feeling and who I should be forgiving, Rocky. I went through so much pain after Bella was born. I will not put myself or my children through that again."

Rocky sighed and nodded at me. "You're right. I'm sorry."

"I need to get some sleep." I murmured. I avoided his lingering gaze as much as I could. "And so should you."

After a few moments of complete silence Rocky nodded at me and threw his hands into his pockets. "Goodnight Laura."

"Goodnight." I replied quietly before closing my bedroom door and climbing back into my now empty double bed.

I switched the light off on my bedside table and exhaled deeply into the darkness as I laid there with the covers wrapped tightly around myself. The memories of my teenage youth came flooding back into my mind as I remembered the countless nights that I'd spent crying my eyes out in my dark bedroom imagining Ross with Courtney and how happy they'd be together whilst Isabella and I would be forgotten about. It sounds stupid but part of me was terrified to ever go back into that stage of my life. I was a woman now, a mother and a wife. I wasn't the same shy teenage girl that I used to be who allowed people to walk all over her. I'd built a barrier around myself as the years had gone by and finally my strength was getting put to the test.

I loved Ross and I'd always fight for our family - after all, it had taken so much blood, sweat, tears and stress to get to where we are now. I'd be a fool to lose that and so would Ross.

As I closed my eyes and inhaled the sweet scent of my freshly burnt out pumpkin candle the quiet sound of someone's knuckles tapping against the doorframe made me slowly sit up. "Who is it?" I asked nervously. If it was Ross I didn't want to talk to him, not now at least. Maybe tomorrow.

The door opened with a creak and Isabella stood there with exhausted eyes in her pink pyjamas. "Mom?" She groaned out in question, stumbling towards me.

I opened up my arms for her and smiled. "Hey baby... bad dream?"

Isabella never usually had bad dreams and very rarely disturbed Ross and I once we'd all headed to bed but it wasn't completely uncommon either, especially if she knew something was off. "No. I heard you and dad arguing. What's going on? He's not leaving is he mom?"

"Oh god baby girl no, no!" I exclaimed quietly as I wrapped her up in my warm embrace, planting a gentle kiss on her forehead. "Sometimes parents have disagreements... it doesn't mean we're angry or going to leave each other, Bella. I'm sorry you heard us... I tried to be quiet."

She exhaled gently and nuzzled into my chest. "All the kids at my school have problems with their families. I don't want us to become like that."

I ran my fingers through her dark blonde hair and shook my head. "We will never become like that. Your father and I love this family way to much to ever create a negative energy for you and your brother."

She held her pinky finger out for me. "Promise mom?"

I latched mine onto hers. "I promise beautiful girl."

Isabella nuzzled in beside me and covered herself with the blanket. "Can I sleep in here with you tonight, mom?"

I smiled and nodded at her. "Well you're basically already in here with me." We both giggled. "Come on baby, let's try and get some sleep."

I turned the nightlight off once again and cuddled up next to my beautiful daughter.

"Mom?" She quietly asked, linking her hand up in my own.

"Yes baby?" I replied.

"I love you."

I smiled and pressed my lips to her forehead. "I love you too baby."

***

a/n

aww Isabella and Laura are mommy & daughter goals for sure!

love you all!! hope your week has been great 💕

b x