six.

Laura's POV

I was awoken to a loud banging at the front door. I rolled over to my side of the bed to get a better view of my alarm clock and almost died when I realised what time it was. Without hesitation I quickly shook Ross to wake him up. "Ross!" I hissed into his ear. The thudding continued. "Ross!"

He began to stir slowly and groaned as he turned over to face me. "What is it? I'm trying to sleep."

"The door!" I squealed quietly under my breath. I didn't want to wake Isabella or Bailey up with my shouting despite the fact that someone was hammering their fist against our front door. "Someone is knocking on it!"

"So? Just get some sleep, Laur. It's probably nothing."

I rolled my eyes and pulled the blanket off from him which made him instantly jump up in frustration. "Laura please I'm -"

Before he could finish his sentence the knocking came again and it was even louder this time. My eyes widened. "See I told you!"

Ross quickly grabbed the baseball bat from underneath our bed and ran towards our bedroom door to unlock it. "Laura go and wake the kids! Take them into our bedroom and lock the door, only unlock it when I say so. Do you hear me?"

I nodded my head frantically and quickly ran into Bailey's bedroom, scooping him up into my embrace. "Mom, what's going on?" He asked, rubbing his eyes and letting out an exhausted yawn.

"I'll explain in a minute." I whispered, quickly carrying my eight year old son into mine and Ross' bedroom. I opened our wardrobe and quickly ushered him inside before running back out into the hallway to wake up Isabella. I was shocked to see Rocky as I opened the door to her bedroom sitting on her bedroom floor with no sign of Isabella anywhere. "Rocky, where is she?"

He held his fingers to his lips and pointed to the underneath of her bed. "I told her to hide. I'm not sure what's going on but I figured I'd help her whilst you woke Bailey up."

I managed to smile, despite feeling terrified as I pointed to mine and Ross' bedroom. "Take Isabella to our room and stay out with the kids, don't open the door until I or Ross say so, okay? I'm going to go downstairs and see what's going on."

Rocky nodded in response to me and began to whisper to Isabella as I crept down our creaky staircase with my cellphone in hand. The hard fist throwing against our door was still echoing loudly throughout our small home as I approached the front door downstairs. Ross was sat below it with a baseball bat in his hand and quickly pulled me down beside him. "Laur, I told you to stay upstairs with the kids!" He hissed.

"Rocky is with them." I whispered, trying to keep calm. "I told him to lock the door to our bedroom and hide with them until we instruct that it's safe to come out."

He nodded slowly and took a deep breath in before shakily standing up from the floorboards beneath us and holding his hand to the doorknob. "Stand back Laur. I'm not sure what we're dealing with here."

I bit my lip. My heart was racing one hundred miles per minute inside of my chest as I built up the anticipation of finding out who was on the other side of that door and why the hell they were knocking at three o'clock in the morning.

The front door swung open and Ross held his baseball bat high up in the air, without hesitation he threw it down onto the person's head and began to yell a series of curse words that even I didn't know of.

"Get off me you freak!"

It was a female voice.

Both Ross and I stopped dead in our tracks, his baseball bat falling to the side of him as I cautiously stepped forward into the dim light of our doorway to get a better look at the mysterious female standing on our doorstep. She was a beautiful blonde girl with perky blue eyes and pale skin and to our dismay, she now had a huge gash on her forehead from Ross' baseball bat.