Chapter Twenty Five

The next few weeks were hectic.

At first there was a lot of publicity about the trial. Reporters bombarded Sam Kelton’s office, Evan’s and mine. Finally, Kelton let them conduct an interview of Evan in his presence and it wasn’t as excited as the press thought apparently as the story was on the 4th page of the newspapers. After that, things began to settle down and return to normal.

I did however, attend Suzanne’s court date. She pleaded guilty. I am not ashamed that I let out an obvious sigh of relief. A guilty plea doesn’t need a trial. It was strange, but I didn’t care. The bitch gets whatever was coming to her. Her lawyers would probably work out some sort of deal. I was just glad it was over.

My curiosity about the ‘why’ still festered because of the odd way in which Evan’s trial met its conclusion. I tried not to dwell on it. There was much more to look forward to and deal with, like Stacy and her wedding plans.

Eddie had come back to work periodically. He was in and out of the office and the suspicious part was he usually left with Dominique or Hollister. I’ve barely said two words to him since the trial. He didn’t attempt to get in touch with me either. His account with my office was finished and I was done with his brief acquaintance in my life as far as I was concerned.

Either way Stacy was the worst to deal with and most of what I focused on as her wedding was in a few days. The bridezilla was insufferable and I wanted to strangle her most the time, but she was my best friend and I loved her.

Because my mid-section had a little baby bump already being a little over three months pregnant, we didn’t have time to alter my ‘Maid of Honor’ dress. That sent her into a frenzy, so we bought a completely new and different dress that fit the theme. I felt awful about that because of her stress, but I knew she was probably more excited than I was about the pregnancy. Only because she didn’t have to carry around a watermelon in a few months.

I still wondered about whether I was really ready for a child as I never gave it much thought before until it happened. My hand wandered to my belly and I scoffed affectionately.

“Sonja?” I turned to Evan’s prompt. “Time to go, Hun.”

“I know.”

I stood from my desk to grab my purse. Today we were going to the doctor for a check-up on the baby. I wanted it done before the wedding as the next few days would be busy with all the final details for Stacy and Evan and I were in charge of cleaning up afterwards. Ken and Stacy would be off to their honeymoon.

Interesting, that they have been together for over five years and only now getting married. Evan and I haven’t been together even a year yet, but close and already engaged and starting a family. But I loved him. He made me whole and time doesn’t matter when you find the right one.

“Are you looking forward to the wedding?” He asked as we drove to the doctors.

“No.” I giggled. “I’ll be glad when she’s on her honeymoon. Bridezilla is getting on my nerves.”

Evan laughed. “She is… tenacious.”

“Definitely…. Do you think Eddie will be there?” I asked.

He shrugged. “He was invited.”

“I know, but he’s been acting strangely at work….”

“How so?”

“He’s never there anymore. “ I leaned back in the seat and gazed at Evan. So handsome. I loved how calm he always came across in any situation where as I was quick to emotional outbursts. He kept me grounded.