Chapter Fifteen

Quick Note: Hey! It didn't take me a month or even two weeks to update again haha. Only a week this time. Luckily, its coming back steadily now guys. First of all I want to let you know I have no law or actual court procedure experience when it comes to a trial, not a law student nothing so this is going off my basic knowledge and what I have seen on TV in shows and the news. Plus I am not writing it from a law procedural point of view. I hope it makes sense and still gives you the oppressive feeling of being in court, hahaha. Please also check out my new scandlous love story called 'Promiscuous' that I posted yesterday. I'd appreciate it! Love you all so much enjoy! Picture of Hollister (Matt Bomer) on the right hehehehehe >:P Dedicated to my new hockey fan friend and writer! =D Her book called 'The Hat Trick' I just started you should to!

*

Trial Day Three, Testimony Begins Day One

*

This was the part that worried me the most. I didn’t even know who would be testifying first. Since Evan insisted that I not be a part of the trial I didn’t get a heads up. Evan was close lipped on their strategy, but that he couldn’t exactly help – legal reasons.

Today, I sat a little closer on Evan’s side of the courtroom only two rows behind him. Eddie was being very lenient about giving me time off from work to go to court. Of course, I knew he would be testifying eventually. I suspected his generosity was because he knew by now Hollister’s involvement though vaguely, he didn’t mind since he was such a big client of ours.

I wrung my hands together – they felt hot and clammy. The air in the room was stuffy and the murmur of half a dozen or so low conversations filtered around me in various directions that made me feel paranoid.

Once court was called to order and people settled down I felt someone sit down behind me. The new scent of cologne that abruptly wafted in the air told me who it was and I refused to turn and look at Hollister. Thankfully, he couldn’t really say anything as court began.

I didn’t really know or understand the way the terminology in court was used except for what I have seen on TV. I found I didn’t care. Curiosity about who would be testifying throughout this and what they would say was what I wanted to hear. I knew mostly all who would be appearing because they were all our friends, but… my mind was wondering.

I shifted in my seat and gave my attention the scene ahead of me.

“The prosecution calls its first witness to the stand… Dr. Joanne Mayweather.”

I took in a deep breath and exhaled. Evan was right and now I felt grateful for him wanting to keep me out of this. This was going to get ugly and fast.

The court room doors opened and all eyes turned to see the first witness enter – except me. I hadn’t seen my previous therapist since I brought her that care package. It seemed so long ago. Kyle had helped me with that at the time and I had no idea…

The sound of a cane and muffled footsteps made a smile twitch on my lips. I turned now as she walked past my seat. Pleased that she was able to walk again after the accident. That was eight months ago now. She looked thinner and older than her forty years, but when she turned and caught my gaze she smiled pleasantly and continued her walk to the witness stand. Despite the doctor patient moment there, I knew her testimony would not help. At least I assumed it wouldn’t.

I watched Evan though his back was to me for his reaction. No one but me could see the tension when it came. Just a shiver of it crept into his shoulders as the bailiff had Dr. Mayweather sworn in.

The prosecution started off with her telling the court basic information. Her name, age, profession credentials etc. which was boring and then…

“Yes, I know the accused, Dr. Evan Jacobs. Both personally and professionally.” She glanced at Evan.