Chapter Twenty Two

Quick Note: Okay here is the update. And the small surprise I mentioned yesterday in my broadcast is in the chapter itself. You know since they really didn't have a proper one.... *winks* Enjoy my lovies! =)

*

Rolling over, I woke up to Evan’s peaceful sleeping. Pulling the blanket up to my neck, I smiled as his chest rose and fell evenly in his slumber. It always amazed me how calm someone can look when in this unconscious state, no matter what else was going on in our lives.

My hand found my belly. Though I wouldn’t be showing or feeling the baby any time soon it was weird to think a child was growing inside me at this very moment. Evan and I’s child. I reached out to caress his face and my hand slipped into his hair.

Dinner with our parents was interesting. I wondered why his mother had it out for me. Being so uppity must be hard work. I chuckled softly and Evan stirred. His eyes slowly opened and began to focus.

“Morning,” I said softly.

“How long have you been watching me sleep,” he yawned.

“Only a minute.” I leaned over and kissed his lips.

His arms wrapped tightly around me. “Hmm, I like waking up to this….” he murmured.

“I know you do.” I chuckled against his jaw. “Time to start coffee.”

I turned to get up, but yelped as Evan yanked me back.

“I don’t need coffee.” He pulled my head down kissing deeper. His arms gripped my butt through the blankets holding me in place on top of him.

“I can tell,” I wiggled against his groin. “But I do need to go to work. I’ve missed too much as it is.”

Evan groaned making me laugh.

“Fine,” he conceded.

I put on a pot in the kitchen before hopping into the shower. I heard Evan come into the bathroom and then the running water of the sink, most likely to brush his teeth.

“I just got a call from Kyle.” He said over the running water coming from both of us.

“Oh, what about?”

“Our office has been getting some heat lately and pressed by the local media about the case since I told you about Hollister. He’s still keeping them away, but the vultures are circling. I guess the district attorney is giving an exclusive story to put his name out there that will go live when the trial is over. It’s making the company look bad and we have lost a few clients and sponsors.”

I finished my shower and pulled the curtain back.

“Is there anything I can do to help?” I looked hopefully at him. This was unfortunate, but not unexpected whether what happened with Hollister or not occurred.

“I don’t think so. Kyle and I can handle it. Just stressing him out a little, he was warning me for when I get there today. Just telling you to keep an eye out.”

“Okay,” I smiled at him in the mirror.

The way he acted so nonchalant about it worried me. I didn’t think he was hiding anything, but he wasn’t expressing the full depth of the hit they were taking. They just opened their new practice literally only weeks before his arrest. It’s a hard blow, but I knew when he was proven innocent and the trial was over things would settle down and people would begin to forget.

“I can see your worry, Sonja. It’s fine, really. I’m just telling you…. I don’t want any more surprises either.” He said following me out of the bathroom while I began to dress, attempting to reassure me.