Chapter 40

"You asked him if she was a lesbian?" James asked after he returned home and John and I had him over for dinner. I nodded drying the dishes I had just washed. "She's dating the captain of the football team? John's only a freshman, is she older?" James asked.

"I asked him and he said she's a freshman too. She's dating the captain who is a senior." I said. James shook his head.

"Is he a total meat head or is he intelligent?" James asked. I smiled as he tried to figure our John's problem.

"John showed me who he was. Some team mates were at the store after school and he showed me who he was and who the girl is. He looked like he was of average jock intelligence." I said shrugging. James sighed.

"Maybe I should take John to the gym with me and start bulking him up." James offered. I snickered and shook my head.

"He's not like that. He's that smart quiet and mysterious type. Hardly a gym nut like his future brother in law." I said smiling and setting the dishes in their places. James sighed.

"I know. You said he was quiet before so I just don't want him beating himself over the girl, who probably isn't even all that good looking." James said. I was quiet a moment. "She's good looking?" James asked.

"Really really pretty." I said as I was disappointed in myself for saying it. I looked out the kitchen window to see John with Baxter just sitting in the grass.

"Damn." James said disappointed as well. He then hit his hand on the counter. I jumped and looked at him. He had an evil smirk on his face. "We can get him a car. He has his permit already." James said smiling. I glared at him.

"When did he get his permit?" I asked him folding my arms over my chest. James smiled sheepishly.

"When he saw me looking at rings and threatened to tell you if I didn't take him to get his permit?" James said. I rolled my eyes and had a sense of pride in that for both James and my little brother.

"But, no. He doesn't need a car, it'll be a year till he can drive anyway. He doesn't need a car." I said setting my drying towel and walking out of my kitchen to Archie who was sitting in his dog bed. I picked him up and walked outside being followed by James.

"Hey John." I greeted him as we all sat in the freshly mowed grass.

"Hey." He greeted us as he stared at the setting sun.

"Wanna go for a drive?" I asked. John's eyes bulged and then looked at James. "Yeah he told me. You con artist." I teased messing with his hair.

"You okay bud?" James asked John as Baxter climbed in James's lap. John shrugged.

"I'm not as happy as I thought I was." John admitted which made my heart race.

"Why?" James asked giving me a glance.

"Kids are just as bad here as they were in Tennessee." John said looking at his feet which were in socks.

"Someone giving you trouble?" James asked then on protective mode. John shrugged.

"I can handle. Don't get me wrong, I'm not sad. I'm just not as happy in school as I hoped I would've been." John said picking a few shards of grass. I sighed.

"Maybe you need a hair cut?" I asked looking at his mop of hair on his head. John laughed slightly and then nodded.

"Maybe." He said. I watched him. He wasn't really happy.

"What do you need bud?" James asked him. John sighed. He always spoke more about these things with James more than me, which was fine if James was around but James had been gone for awhile and that's when John had gotten more quiet.