Chapter 1

The feeling of someone's arms around you, and knowing they wish for you to stay there, is one of the most wonderful feelings you can experience. Or at least that's what I have been told. I, however, am as lonely as the next girl. I would like to think having someone's arms around you feels nice, but let's face it, men are intimidated by me. I mean, I would be too. I am pure sass, in a five foot five package, and I don't care what anyone has to say about it. I love being me, but even the most confident person gets lonely sometimes.

I sit alone at work with no interactions from anyone and I wonder about the future. Ya know, if I will ever get a guy to at least give me my first kiss. I would kill just for that experience.

No, Liz, you don't need to feel that way, I thought to myself. I knew I had a plan that I had to go through in order to get what my life was intended for. I was intended to make a difference. To end the need to be a size zero in young girls so our future is better for those who will live in it.

"Elizabeth?" Someone asked. I woke up from my daydream, and sat straight up behind the counter. A handsome young face was standing on the other side of my counter. He must've seen the name tag on my shirt that my manager had made up for me with my full name. He had a nice fade on the sides of his head going into slightly longer length on the top of his head. He smiled and a dimple popped up on his cheek. I smiled in response.

"Liz," I corrected him while trying to sound just as friendly as I was. "And how may I help you?" I asked kindly then. This guy was looking at me as if I was a strange sight. He glanced back at the store I was employed at, turning his head so he could examine the store over his shoulder, and then looked back at me.

"You don't look like someone who would work somewhere like this." He said putting a hand on the counter, as the other one shoved in his jeans pocket. He watched my every move as I cleared my throat awkwardly, letting my response build in my head a moment. I was hoping a nice looking guy like him wasn't going to make a comment on my size. Been there, done that, didn't want to experience it yet again in my young life. I looked down at my attire. Black everything aside from my white cardigan; black jeans, black combat boots, black blouse.

"Where do I look I should work at?" I asked him, most likely regrettably. He smirked and shrugged.

"Somewhere where your fashion sense could be displayed for the world to see, not the inside of a music shop selling vinyl records and CDs." He smiled sweetly and refreshingly. I blushed not expecting that response in the slightest. Usually guys who came in here said I should be a plus size model, or something to that affect as they would always mention my weight. I did like fashion, but it wasn't my calling whatsoever.

"Thank you. That's sweet. I don't usually get that about my appearance. Usually it's a little more rude." I told him stepping off my stool to stand, but staying behind the counter. The guy tsk-ed his tongue and shook his head.

"Well, that's ridiculous." He said looking at the things along the check-out counter. "Anyone insulting a pretty girl like that deserves to get his nose broken." He said still entertaining himself with the cheap things surrounding me on a daily basis. I blushed even deeper, and had not the slightest idea of what to say in response.

"Oh, anyway, I was wondering if you could help me find a record? I looked, but I can't seem to find it." He asked me looking optimistically, his brown eyes dancing as they studied me. I nodded with a kind customer service smile, and headed out from behind the counter. I heard the zippers on my boots jingle as I walked to the window area where our vinyl records sat in alphabetical order or by year, depending on the record label and printing company of the covers.

"What are you looking for?" I asked him looking at the rows upon rows of records leaning slightly back at an angle as he appeared beside me.

"Heffron Drive. My buddy's band." He smirked as I glanced at his face. I nodded, but stopped my looking. I tapped my palm on the stack of records awkwardly.

"I'm sorry, we don't carry independent artists. They have to be signed to a label." I informed him as I turned to face him dead on, looking as sincere as I could. He chuckled.

"He founded and owns the record label he's signed to. Trust me, he's legit." The olive skinned man assured me. I sighed, and nodded as I had just made myself look like a total ass. I searched through the stack, trying my best to navigate our weird system of organizing vinyls, and sure enough, found the album.

"Ah, here we are. Heffron Drive." I smiled happily as I offered the brightly colored vinyl to man. There was an egg on the cover with a happy face, I giggled seeing it was called Happy Mistakes. The man's eyes seemed to light up at the sight of the cover as he gripped it from me.

"Awesome. Thank you so much, Eliz-, I mean Liz." He looked up from the record with a grin ear to ear as he corrected his name usage.

"No problem, eh, didn't get your name." I said trying to be slick with his name, but he noticed and seemed intrigued. He offered me his hand as he tucked the record in his other one, as I took it happily and we shook hands.

"My bad, my name's Carlos. I come in every so often when friends of mine release records." He smiled gesturing towards the record I had found for him. I nodded eyeing it as I hadn't realized we carried a band by that name. I stopped looking at the vinyl and then looked up to the man. Carlos. That was a nice name, it fit him surprisingly. He was sweet.

"That's cool. Well, let's ring that up. That's all you needed to look for?" I asked him to get reassurance before I started back to the register. He nodded and gestured for me to proceed before him. I walked nervously back behind the counter, scanning the record, and rang him up. He ran his card swiftly as the machine popped out his receipt in a second. I then put it on the vinyl that was sat on the counter as I doubt he needed a bag for a single vinyl. He nodded to me as he slid his stuff to him, carrying it in his hand this time.

"Thank you so much. It was really nice meeting a friendly face in this store. Usually, it's an old rude smelly guy behind the counter." Carlos informed me with his record and receipt in hand. He scrunched his face as he mentioned the scent of the other employee here. I couldn't help, but smile at his animated facial expressions. I then thought quickly, and didn't let myself remain professional in front of this very kind stranger.

"That was Roger. He passed away last week, that's why I'm here." I said in a serious tone nodding as if I had just informed someone of a person's actual passing. Carlos's face dropped, and then immediately felt guilt, I could see it in his face.

"Oh my God, I'm sorry-" he started saying as I giggled putting a hand to my mouth to stop myself. He was confused for a moment, his eyes widening for a moment, and then eventually he caught on that I was only joking. "He didn't pass away, did he?" He asked even if he knew the answer by my reaction. I would so be fired if my manager knew about this little exchange, at least I thought I would've. I started giggling even more, shaking my head as Carlos started to crack a smile. Good, he was relaxing, finding my dark humor amusing.

"He was fired. He told some older woman, who was shopping for her grandson's birthday, that he wanted her to call him 'Sonny.'"I told him, which had been the truth fo what it was worth. Roger was a creep. He looked at me reluctantly, unsure to believe if I was telling the truth. "Honest to God." I said raising my hands in surrender as I looked at Carlos, seeing the distrust in his eyes no matter how much he smirked. "You wanna ask the manager on duty?" I asked him finally, gesturing towards the back of the shop where Luis, the owner of the shop and my manager, would be in his office watching his telenovelas all afternoon. Carlos started to chuckle and covered his face for a moment to contain his laughter.

"Nah, I trust you." He said shaking his head grinning. I smiled back, glad I made him laugh.

"Alright then." I said hopping back up onto my stool to take a seat.

"It was nice meeting you, Liz. Thank you for the laugh, and for the help." Carlos finally said and started to walk away backwards before offering a wave. I waved back as I watched him near the doors.

"Nice meeting you too, Carlos." I smiled as he walked, his back pushing on the door lever to open it as he spun to face the parking lot, and continued to the right of the windows. I sighed and was left alone again. Carlos. His name felt good to think about, thinking about it gave me a hopeful vibe that maybe I'd see him again. Just maybe.