Chapter 6

Lui skipped along in a child-like manner while following Nogla. He felt comfortable near the taller and actually trusted him. 

Lui was by far the most naive of him and the others- that had been pointed out and proven plenty of times- because he trusted his instinct. He wasn't really naive because he knew that his gut could very well be wrong and he knew what would happen if it was, but he still relied on it a bit too much which made him more naive in comparison. His gut had told him in the past that it might be alright to trust certain people. His gut failed him most of those times. What was different about Nogla, however, was that it wasn't just his gut telling him this. It was as if all parts of his body were in agreement that the taller was to be trusted. 

Lui snapped back to reality just in time to see their destination. It was a brightly lit room with a table of sorts large enough for a person to lie on it. There were some tools lying around and a couple of first aid kits that were open. "Dis is where ah spend most o' my time. It's a sort o' medical center." Lui looked around, amazed at all of the equipment that he hadn't seen since he broke his arm when he was 6. 

Brock was kind of their doctor -he did know more about how to deal with wounds better than they did- but he just used what he could find. Brock never had any access to anything like this. Nogla laughed at how awestruck the younger appeared and sat on a chair. Lui noticed and sat on a chair not too far from Nogla's. "So... what kind o' things do ya' like?"

~~~

Marcel didn't look at anything around him for too long and did his best to avoid the gaze of the other. He wasn't quite sure whether he could trust Scotty. Normally, he would just assume that he shouldn't trust anyone -except for Lui, Craig, Ryan, Jon, and Brock- but Scotty was... different somehow. Marcel noticed how genuine Scotty seemed and it almost made him trust Scotty. 

Almost. 

The older knew how dangerous it was to trust. His family had suffered because of it. The only reason the others got a pass was because years of being slaves together created bonds. Bonds that couldn't be broken by any means other than utter betrayal. 

"You want anything to eat?" Marcel was broken from his train of thought and looked at Scotty. "We have a lot of food and I personally can't do anything on an empty stomach." Marcel stared at him and said, without thinking, "You're so skinny, though." He wondered how the other would react to that comment and to his surprise, the reply was, "Heh, I guess. What can I say? All of it goes straight to my muscles!" Scotty flexed his arms showing off how little muscle he had. Marcel snickered before stopping himself, remembering that he shouldn't laugh. "Hey, I got a bit of a laugh out of you. Who knows? Maybe one of these days you'll actually smile!" 

Marcel looked up to see Scotty looking in the fridge. He kept looking, seeming to have found something to eat, and closed the door. Marcel gazed at the food in the other's arms, noticing it was just a bunch of ingredients to make sandwiches. "You can sit down if you want. You don't have to just stand there." Marcel thought about saying something, but there was a sort of glare and determination in Scotty's eyes that made him decide to sit down instead. 

A smile adorned Scotty's face as he made two sandwiches. As the other looked at him, he nearly smiled himself before remembering that he shouldn't. He looked down instead as he simply sat and made small talk with Scotty. It was surprisingly nice. It was then that a thought came to Marcel's mind. 

'Do I trust him?'

Sorry for the short chapter. I noticed that I hadn't updated this story in a while and I tried finishing the chapter as quickly as possible. I promise that I'll try updating this more frequently in the future, but I sadly cannot say for certain if that will happen.