43-Killing Joke

My entire body stills. Shock waves radiate throughout my spine until I can finally come to my senses and pull out my knife. I hear the footsteps echo in my head but I can't hear where they're coming from. I sense them coming closer.
  I sprint into a small alcove to spy on the visitors, in case they're dangerous. The top of my head peeks out above the rock while keeping the rest of my body concealed.
  "Welcome to Skull Rock, Henry," I hear a voice I'd recognize in my sleep. Peter. My body tenses. He looks awful. Like he hasn't slept in days. Which he probably hasn't, but I wouldn't know since I refused to sleep in the treehouse with him lately. I want to run out and jump into his arms, but this could be the only way to find out his true intentions for Henry. I keep quiet.
  "It's different than what I've seen in the storybooks. What's the hourglass for? It's almost empty," He points out.
  "I'm afraid it is. The hourglass represents Neverland's magic. We're running out of time," Peter explains in a type of tone I've never heard before. It sounds sympathetic yet somewhat manipulative.
  "So, to save magic and Neverland, all I have to do is give you my heart and sacrifice myself? That's all it takes?"
  My heart drops into my stomach. This is a joke, isn't it? If it is, it's not funny. Something of a killing joke.
  All I want to do is to run and scream at Peter for lying to me. For breaking his promise. For leading me to think Henry would end up unharmed. I scream at myself in my mind for letting myself believe him. But my instincts tell me to stay put.
  "That's all, Henry. You'll be a hero to everyone," Peter lures him. I have to save Henry before he falls too far into the trap. Like I did.