4-Emma's Superpower

I toss the bag into the passenger seat and shut my door. I lean on the wheel. They think I'm suspicious. They had the sheriff investigate me...
  My thoughts are interrupted by a knock on my passenger side window. I take my arms off the wheel and look outside. It's Emma.
  "Yes?" I ask, rolling down the window.
  "Can I come in, kid?" She asks. I sigh and unlock the door. She pulls herself in and shuts the door. I roll up the window.
  "Is there a problem?" I ask nervously.
  "Maybe. You see, Audrey, I have kind of a superpower. I can always tell when someone's lying. And you are. Not about your name, but why are you actually here?" She pushes. I look up at her for a moment before giving in.
  "Well, what I told you wasn't entirely a lie. I am looking for a family... member. But I wasn't away at school. I..." I trail off and look at her. She looks back at me, not with a cold expression, but with more of a warm understanding expression.
  "You're an orphan," She says quietly. I wipe a tear off my cheek quickly.
  "How do you know?" I ask, my voice hoarse.
  "I can see it in your eyes. That sadness, that loneliness... I see myself," She says with a tone that breaks my heart.
  "I'm looking for my mother. She's here," I open up.
  "How old are you?" She asks me.
  "I'm fifteen," I tell her.
  Emma gets a weird look on her face, like she's come to a sudden realization, and she rushes out of my car.
  "Emma!" I shout as I watch her red jacket disappear into the diner. I let out a frustrated groan and get out of my car, kicking the door closed. I'm about to go up the steps when the door opens.
  It's the woman Emma was talking to. She has tears on her face, but she looks like she's trying to conceal them. As she steps out of the diner she looks over at me. Her eyes widen with fear or realization or something, and she runs down the steps and to a car parked across the street. As her car starts up, a short man with a beard comes out of the diner followed by Emma.
  "Mayor Mills!" The short man shouts. I gasp and look over at the car that's driving away. That's my mothers car.
  "Leroy!" Emma shouts at him.
  "That's my mother! Emma, you knew! Why didn't you tell me? If someone could help you reunite with your parents, wouldn't you want their help? Why couldn't you help me? Why didn't you tell me!" I scream at her and get in my car, ready to follow Mayor Mill's car.
  "Wait, Audrey!" Emma yells and stands in front of my car. I hit my horn and don't let it go. She walks over to the side of my car and opens the passenger door, letting herself inside a second time.
  "I'm following that car, Emma," I growl. I start it up and pull out of the parking lot.
  "Audrey, she didn't want you to know! She asked me not to tell you! She already hates me, I can't lose this job," Emma explains.
  "She's my mother! I've never met her before, you know what it's like! You should've helped me!" I shriek.
  "I'm sorry, but you shouldn't do this. It won't end well," Emma warns.
  "I'm going to see my mother if it kills me," I vow through gritted teeth.
  "Okay, but you're making a mistake," Emma tells me again. I ignore her and stay focused on Mayor Mill's car.
  Emma and I ride in silence. She occasionally gives me worried looks, but I keep on driving determined. The mayor's car finally stops in front of a huge white house. I'm about 30 yards behind her, but I spot her running into her house. I slam on the breaks when I pull up to the driveway. I practically fall out of the car, rushing to follow her up to the house.
  "Audrey-" Emma begins to shout but I cut her off.
  "Either help or stay in the car, just stay out of my way!" I yell at her. I hear the car door slam. She's not going to help. I run up the stairs and open the door. There's a chain lock, but I'm able to unhook it from outside through years of practice. I throw myself through the door and look around. This house is huge, how the hell am I supposed to find my mother? This will not be easy...