Chapter 49 // Awake

Calum's Point of View

A chorus of loud voices traveled through my eardrums, but I couldn't get a glimpse of anything around me. My eyes felt like they were clamped shut. Shit, am I high? I don't even know what that's like, but I feel incredibly disoriented and lost right now. My neck is even being constricted by some plastic brace and there is something pinching the side of my body. What the hell is going on?

"Do you really think he'll be able to hear us?" A lovely voice asked above the commotion that I could hear, but could not see. I knew that voice from anywhere. It was Ad. 

"I don't know if he can or can't," Someone else said. I recognized the thick Australian accent to belong to Ashton. He basically sounded like a kangaroo. "But it's worth a shot. If he doesn't hear us then we can just repeat it later."

"I can hear you, idiot," I tried to say, but my lips were also glued tightly together, preventing me from even moving an inch. 

"You're right," Ad agreed. "Do you mind if I talk to him alone though? I just want to apologize for the whole accident."

She seemed so distraught. It was hurting me more than what ever bandage was wrapped around my skin. I hated the thought of her being upset. "Baby, you don't need to apologize," I attempted to call out again, but it didn't work. Am I dead or something?

"Of course, Addy," Luke replied. It sounded like there was some movement around whatever unfamiliar room we were currently residing in and then a door slammed shut. 

Addy sighed heavily, sitting down on the mattress I am laying on. Or maybe I'm strapped to it? I don't know, but I can't move and it's annoying as hell. Her perfectly soft hand picked up mine and laced our fingers together, making butterflies flutter throughout my stomach even when I couldn't see her. The absence of sight almost magnified the simple touch of her smooth palms. Jesus, she was perfect. 

"Hi Cal," She greeted awkwardly, using her free hand to trace hearts on the top of my chest. It tickled, but it was much more enjoyable than the usual feeling of bricks sitting on my lungs and preventing me from breathing properly. "I'm really sorry for everything. I'm a terrible driver. I shouldn't have fought with you. You were right. I was being too friendly with Matty, er, Matt. I mean, I didn't flirt with him but I still shouldn't have been so excited. It probably made you feel jealous, which I can't blame you for, because I would be the same way. After all of that stupid Luke drama it was just a bad idea and I'm sorry I wasn't thinking, and I'm sorry that it led to this." 

"It's okay, babyI'm stupid too." 

Another deep exhale escaped her mouth. She was probably tucking that dark brown hair beneath her cute little ears like she always did. Everything she did was cute. Even though a dark curtain was covering my eyeballs at the moment, I still knew she looked cute and absolutely beautiful. 

"I hate seeing you like this, Calum. All of it is my fault. Please wake up already. I miss you like crazy. I really hope you're okay. If something happens to you, oh my God, I don't know what I'll do. I can't live without you, Cal. We tried that once before and you had to fly across the freaking planet to keep us together. Please just be okay. I love you, Calum. I wish I told you that before the accident. I need to say it more often actually. I love you. I love you. I love you. Please, wake up soon."