Chapter 48 // Hospital

Adelaide's Point of View

"Calum," I choked out, feeling my lungs start to have difficulty breathing as I became more frightened than before. I shook him slightly, but his eyes just stayed closed as his head barely rattled. "Calum, no! Calum, wake up right now! Calum!"

He didn't even budge.

An eruption of sobs left my mouth as I unbuckled my seat belt, ignoring all of the physical pain I was in because it was nothing compared to the emotional pain I felt at this moment. I climbed over to him, cupping my hands around his smooth face. "Calum, please."

His forehead had a large cut running across it horizontally, and I quickly pressed a spare napkin to it to try and dab the blood away. My other hand moved to his wrist to try and feel for a pulse, but I was too shaky and scared to even hold still for a few seconds. I also didn't want to know the answer.

I fumbled for my phone, my fingers stuttering as they dialed 911 for emergency help. A lady answered immediately in a firm tone. "Hello, what's your emergency?"

"Oh my God I just got into a car accident and my boyfriend is bleeding and he's not moving and I'm so scared I don't know what to do please help me," I wailed into the receiver, rambling all of this to her in one breath. I couldn't stop crying but I peered through my clouded vision to scope out my surroundings. Traffic had stopped around us and the other car was still next to us. "I'm at the corner of Main Street. Please send an ambulance."

"One is on the way right now, please stay calm ma'am," She assured. But how on Earth could I stay calm when Calum wasn't waking up. "Are you alright?"

"I'm alright," I informed her, but I wasn't. I was incredibly sore and distraught but none of that matters. All I care about is my baby waking up.

The operator lady promised me that the ambulance would be here soon and then I hung up, returning my attention back to Calum. I kissed his lips, hoping that maybe the crap you hear about in Disney movies about true love's kiss would make his brown eyes open. But they didn't. "Baby, please don't leave me," I cried out, clinging onto his body. "I love you so much. I'm so sorry. I'm so stupid. I can't believe this happened."

I was such an idiot and I loathed myself for it. I shouldn't have been so excited to see Matty. I know I get excited easily but I took him on a date to get him away from the drama about Luke, yet here I was making him feel unworthy again. I'm such a screw up, and I'm so stubborn, and I should have just apologized immediately instead of fighting with him, especially while we were in the car. I'm the worst driver in the entire world, and this entire accident is my fault.

There wasn't anyone else to blame but myself. There was no Eric in this situation. It was just me. I was going to turn into Calum if he doesn't wake up. He is going to be my Ellie. I'm going to have grieve over him everyday and everyone is going to hate me for it and be afraid of me.

I couldn't handle the anxiety and sadness that had washed over me just from viewing him completely immobile. My mind was constantly racing and I needed some kind of comfort, but the only person who can ever thoroughly comfort me is Calum.