18. The Reunion

-------

Present Day

-------

"Holy shit," I whispered as Tyler and Troye walked under a street light and came into view. I repeated the obscenity once more as I suddenly realized that I wasn't prepared. I hadn't even considered what to say.

I was paralyzed with fear as Troye and Tyler walked towards me, giggling and laughing as they did so.

Troye caught sight of me and stopped dead in his tracks. Tyler looked at Troye in confusion then looked at me. He, too, paused.

He was then racing to me, hugging me tighter than I'd ever been hugged in my life. "Can't ... breathe," I gasped.

Tyler let me go, a grin on his face.

"Hey, bud," he said.

I rolled my eyes at the greeting, though I honestly felt like crying. "You know I hate that," I replied, as I had all those years ago, my voice cracking at the end.

Troye smiled at the dumb joke before he wrapped his arms around me.

"Hey," he said quietly.

"Hi," I replied, nearly whispering.

Troye released me and we just stood in a circle, beaming at one another.

I took everything about them in: Troye was in a blazer, a white undershirt and a tie. He looked professional but in a casual sort of sense.

Tyler was wearing a floral snap-back, a striped sweater, a pair of skinny jeans and some Toms.

Both of them looked almost identical to how they looked in high school, the wrinkles besides their eyes a little more prominent. Tyler's hair was void of purple, Troye had filled out a bit more.

"I'm cold," Tyler finally said.

We began to walk to the school, and, as we did, the most general question popped into my mind: "So how've you been?" I asked.

Troye and Tyler both looked at one another and laughed. "Great, Alfie. Really great," Tyler said.

I smiled and nodded happily, honestly so glad.

We stepped inside McKinnely-Thatcher High and were immediately bombarded by nostalgia.

The main hall sat in front of me in all its glory--the tile shiny, signs lining the halls and a few streamers hanging from the ceiling.

We didn't need the arrows to know where the old gymnasium was.

We plunged inside and found a few mediocre tables of food, more streamers, and tons of people sipping alchoholic beverages.

"There's something different from high school," Tyler noted drily. "Too bad really. Those four years would've been hella better with a mini bar."

I laughed at that harder than I had laughed at anything in years. I had seriously forgotten what pure happiness felt like. I'd forgotten how good it felt, not worrying about bills and mortgages. Regina and our kids far from my mind.

"Y'all thirsty?" Tyler asked after I finished my laughing fit.

I nodded and so did Troye, so we headed to the bar.

On our way, I saw so many familiar faces. Even the dickiest douchebags didn't make me feel rage: I almost felt happy to see them.

When we had gotten through the bar line, Tyler spotted some of his theater geek friends and, apologizing and telling us he'd be right back, he left.