16. How to Stargaze

------

15 3/4 years ago

------

Some car outside my house kept laying on the horn.

After the third time in five minutes, I gave up on trying to write on my typewriter and looked out my bedroom window. I saw Tyler's green truck sat at the curb by my house and raced downstairs.

I was surprised to see Zoe at the wheel with no Tyler or Troye occupying the truck.

"What are you doing?" I demanded.

Zoe shhed me. "Give me your phone," she ordered. I handed my cell phone and she placed it in a box where she locked it up. "No electronics for the next 24 hours."

"And why is that?" I asked.

She ignored this.

"Now run and get packed," she told me. "We're driving up to the mountains and staying for a few days."

I sprinted for my house, quickly throwing a pair of jeans and a shirt into a backpack and adding some toothpaste, and a toothbrush. With one final glance around my room, I raced back to the truck.

"Good time," Zoe appraised.

I smiled as I slid into the front seat and she started to drive. "We're grabbing Tyler and Troye before we officially leave," she explained.

I nodded and looked out the window at the bright blue sky. It was 2:37 in the afternoon, it would be dusk when we finally got up there.

Zoe slammed to a stop in front of Troye's house and honked the horn.

"It's taken them forever to get ready, the fuckers," she explained.

"They're probably not packing at this point," I replied smugly.

Zoe raised a single eyebrow and we shared a stare before she pulled away. "GODDAMMIT!" she yelled, throwing open the door, slamming it shut and marching to Troye's door. She knocked three times impatiently.

Troye's mother, looking harried, opened the door. "Can I help you?" she asked in confusion.

"Yes, hello," Zoe said kindly. "Me and my friend Alfie Deyes" she gestured to me in the front passenger seat "were wondering if we could speak to Troye and Tyler?"

"Well, he's upstairs with Tyler at the moment," Mrs. Sivan said.

"Do you mind if I go up there and get them?" Zoe said.

"Well, I mean--"

Zoe gestured wildly to come to the door. I got out of the truck and walked to the door then stood with Zoe. "Thanks so much, Mrs. Sivan!" she said as soon as I got there, rushing past Troye's mother.

"But--" she began to protest, but Zoe was long gone.

Sighing, Mrs. Sivan turned to me. "Alfie!" she said brightly, a smile warming up her face.

"Heyyy," I said awkwardly.

"So, how've you been?" she asked, massaging her temple.

"Um, pretty good," I answered. "How've you been?"

She shrugged. "Stressed."

I nodded. "Ah. That sucks."

She gave me a little smile.

And then there was a silence that seemed to stretch for eternity, but, in reality, only lasted a few minutes.

"How's school?" Mrs. Sivan finally asked.