13. Blown Kisses

As usual, I was on my knees, rummaging through my locker at the end of the school day.

Without warning, someone swooped in and kissed me--hard--on the lips. A few people whistled and some said, "Get it, Alfie" which was shocking, really, as I didn't think they even knew my name.

"Hey," I said breathlessly as Zoe pulled away.

She smiled at me, her eyes all warm and mushy, and then she said, in a singsongy voice, "Look what I gooot."

She handed me a flyer from that had the Starbucks logo on top and underneath that:

HELP WANTED

CALL 706-515-3797 IF INTERESTED

"I saw it when I went into for my coffee fixing yesterday," Zoe said, suddenly Southern. "I ripped it down before anyone else could call. I'm purdy sure the job is yours."

I smiled at her. "I'll call them tomorrow," I said.

"No, no," Zoe answered. "No." She looked at me urgently. "You gotta call 'em now. They probably put up a new sign today."

I sighed. "Fine. I'll do it when I get home."

Zoe dimpled up. "Great! I'm off to the little girls' room. I'll meet you at the Hydraxx?"

I nodded and she skipped off--the Hydraxx was what she called her car, because she thought it sounded like some cool mythical creature.

I slung the backpack over my shoulder and walked out to the car then slid into the passenger's seat.

About 15 minutes later, Zoe slid into the driver's seat. She twisted the key and the Hydraxx started with a lurch.

"So anyway," Zoe continued a conversation that I didn't know we were having, "you have an interview at Starbucks in" she checked the clock on the dashboard "24 minutes."

"What?!" I cried as she slammed on the brakes and the seatbelt flew against my chest.

"Sorry," she apologized, stopping at a red light. "And you heard me."

"When did this happen?" I demanded.

Zoe looked in the rear view mirror and put a layer of lipgloss on.

"Oh, just a few minutes ago, really," Zoe said, popping her lips a few times.

"Green light," I told her just as a car behind us honked.

She stepped on the gas and I was thrown back in my seat. I rolled my eyes but also smiled--she was loud and she was impulsive and she was impatient and those together did not make for the best driver.

~

Eventually, she pulled to a stop in front of a Starbucks.

"Go kill 'em," she told me with a smile. "I'll come back in 45 minutes."

I nodded and stepped out of the car and into the Starbucks.

"I'm Alfie Deyes," I said to the barista nervously. "I've come in for a job interview."

The barista--Daisy, her name tag read--smiled. "Mr. Lester will be ready for you in a few minutes."

I smiled and shakily took my seat--I had a few minutes to get prepared for an interview. I was going to make a fool of myself.

I looked around the cozy Starbucks. It had nice, sleek tables and a billboard full of flyers--though I didn't see any that read "help wanted".

"Alfie Deyes," a voice I didn't recognise said. I turned and saw a tall, pale man with black hair looking at me with a small smile on his face.