36. A Brief Moment of Distraction

Casper

The sun was just beginning to set when they arrived. And there were more of them than we expected.

I hoped and prayed everything would go well today. I couldn't cope with anymore death. I don't think anyone in either pack could cope with anymore death.

I heard another shout from one of the hunters, making my hairs stand on end. I wanted nothing more than to turn into my wolf and go and chase them out of my territory, but I knew I couldn't do that. We needed to stick to the plan.

Everyone was in their designated place, and the police were waiting just beyond the east wall, waiting for us to let them know when the time was right to approach.

The mysterious Joe was in there somewhere, leading Kane to the spot we needed him to be in.

I felt scarily out of control tonight, which was a foreign feeling to me. I was the Alpha. I was supposed to be the one calling the shots. But today wasn't like that. Today was very much a team effort. But a team was only as good as its weakest member, and when I didn't even know who the members were, it made me nervous.

What if Joe messed up? Or worse, what if Joe was really working for the hunters and this was some big elaborate set up?

The thought made me shiver.

I felt hopeless just stood here. But I had to keep reminding myself, that this was the role I had been assigned tonight. I just had to wait for my cue.

The sound of a gunshot ricocheted through the air making the blood pump through my veins.

Was someone hurt?

I strained my ears to listen for anything that would give me a clue what was going on.

I hated this. I hated not being about to do anything about it.

I paced back and forth. I could just go a bit further to see if I could see anything?

I edged further into the woods, all my senses on high alert.

I heard some shouting, then a yelp, definitely from a wolf.

I silently moved closer, then froze as I saw a flash of movement to my left. I stood still, my ears straining to hear, every nerve in my body tingling.

Out of the corner of my eye I saw movement again, but this time I recognised the shape.

"Luke," I whisper shouted.

A figure emerged from behind a tree and crept over to me, bent low.

"What's going on?" I asked.

"One of the hunters has caught a guard from Ronan's pack. Matt I think," he whispered back.

"Shit, is he ok?"

"I'm not sure, I was just heading back to my post."

"What?" I asked with wide eyes.

"Well, he's not one of ours so let Nathan's lot rescue him," he replied in a rather matter of fact way.

"Fucking hell Luke," I hissed. "They didn't have to be here! They're helping us out!!"

Luke had the decency to hang his head a little.

"Sorry, do you want me to go back?"

"No, just go! I'll take care of it."

Luke looked at me with uncertainty in his eyes.

"Just go!" I ordered.

That was enough to send him running back towards the manor.