16. Rejected

Nathan

I banged angrily on the horn on my steering wheel.

"FUCKING MOVE!!" I shouted at the taxi that had just decided to stop in the middle of the road.

Some drunken tart with a skirt up her arse and heels the size of tower blocks tottered over to the taxi, throwing a middle finger in my direction before getting in.

I drew in a deep breath through my nose. I couldn't lose my temper. It might cause me to be delayed further.

I still couldn't believe it took me so long to see the text from Cole. I always had my phone on me, yet tonight for some reason i'd left it in my bedroom.

On the one night he needed me.

As I drove like a maniac down the road I tried to rationalise with my thoughts

What if he's badly hurt?

That's unlikely. He did manage to send a text.

Yes but what if something happened after he sent that text, afterall, it took you long enough to read it.

He's bound to be fine. And then I can yell at him for texting me when I specifically told him to only text about the project.

My mind snapped to attention as I pulled into Beech Drive.

I could tell which house it was, without even looking at the door numbers. It was the one surrounded by police cars. The whole street was lit up in an eerie neon blue from the multitude of flashing lights. My heart thumped harder when I also saw an ambulance tucked behind a police van.

I pulled up, a safe distance away and slowly walked towards the house.

I paused outside. I hoped he wasn't still inside because that would either mean he was hurt, or he was in trouble with the law.

I heard a hissing noise from somewhere behind me. I turned and scanned the area until I saw someone hunkered down behind a car.

I took a step out into the road for a better look and saw Cole's friend Natalie, waving at me to come over.

I quickly jogged over, relieved that I might at least get some answers.

"Are you looking for Percy?" Natalie asked once I was in front of her.

"Percy? Was Percy here?" I asked.

"Yes. Wait, wasn't that who you were looking for?"

"No, Cole texted asking for my help. He just didn't say what for. What went on here, and is Cole still inside?"

Natalie sighed shaking her head. "All hell broke loose," she said.

I stared at her waiting for her to say more. Heck, I wanted to grab hold of her and shake her right now, but I needed to stay calm.

"And Cole?" I prompted again.

"I don't know," she replied.

"What do you mean you don't know?!" I snapped back, beginning to lose the battle to stay calm.

Natalie raised an eyebrow at me. "Hey, don't take that tone with me. I said I don't know. It's not my fault he went back inside to find Percy."

Damn Percy! As soon as she mentioned he was here, I knew he would somehow be to blame.

"Are they still in there?" I asked.

Natalie shook her head. "I don't think so. Not unless they're hiding in a cupboard or something. I searched everywhere."