32. Wrapped Around his Little Finger

Joel

I stormed into Sebastian's office, not waiting for a reply to my knock.

Sebastian looked up from the laptop on his desk, his eyebrows high on his forehead from my sudden entrance.

"What the hell happened!" I exclaimed, walking over to the desk and putting both hands on it while leaning over towards Seb.

Seb, leaned back in his chair and took a deep breath.

"Never mind what happened! What are you doing here? You're supposed to be keeping your head down, not waltzing into the Police's headquarters!"

"I made sure I wasn't followed, now tell me what went wrong?!" I snapped back.

Sebastian scowled but finally decided to answer my question.

"We arrived a few minutes after Nathan's group went in."

"Yes but why?" I said back, "Why didn't they wait for you? Did you not make it clear that they should have waited?"

"Yes Joe, I made it clear but they went in anyway," Sebastian huffed. "There was nothing that could be done. I don't have control over them."

"Then you should have never given them the information!" I shouted, and banged my fists down on the desk.

I would never describe myself as an angry person. I was passionate, not angry. But today I was. Today I was seething.

Sebastian, having clearly lost his patience with my attitude, stood up from his chair and glared right back at me. For a human, he could be quite intimidating when he tried.

"I know you're upset Joe, but it wasn't my fault. It wasn't my team's fault and it wasn't your fault."

I held his gaze for a few seconds. I wanted to shout back. I wanted to scream and hurl his laptop across the room.

But he was right. It wasn't his fault. And I shouldn't take it out on him.

I let my shoulders sag slightly and looked away, clearly backing down.

For the last couple of weeks I'd been working undercover as a member of FLOW after I'd contacted the group online. It was purely by chance that I'd overheard a conversation about a human been held captive with a werewolf in one of FLOW's meeting points. Of course, as soon as I heard that I put two and two together and informed Seb.

What I didn't know at the time was that the werewolf was Emily. And now she was gone.

"I should have known Nathan wouldn't wait. He's too arrogant to accept help," I replied, in a much quieter tone.

"I don't think that was the problem," Sebastian said, and I turned to look at him to see that his brow was furrowed in concern.

"What do you mean?" I asked.

Sebastian sighed and gestured at a chair asking me to sit down. I followed his request and Sebastian also sat back down as I waited for him to continue.

"It turns out that Nathan and Cole are mates," he said.

This was one of those moments when you wish you had a few moments to plan a considered response, but instead my eyes widened, my jaw dropped and I stuttered out an ineloquent, "Fucking hell."

I could feel Sebastian's gaze lock onto mine.

"I mean.....well it's just......they just don't seem very....what's the word....compatible?" I squirmed out.